With Morning Comes Mistfall

Hello boys and girls.

This is my 8th esk8, my 5th DIY, and my first build thread. So buckle up, bucko, and allow me to introduce…

Mistfall

She is an absolute beast at 50lbs on the dot, but by far my most comfortable build and definitely the most fun to ride!

Bill of Materials:

- 12s10p Tesla 50Ah 2KWh battery
- Trampa VESC6 MK3 motor controllers
- DRI Robogotchi + GPS
- DavegaX
- PuckPuckBruce Remote

- LaCroix Hypertrucks drivetrain (16:72 ratio)
- 190mm CST tires
- Maytech 6389 190kv motors

- Haero Bro 96 deck
- Apache 2800 waterproof case
- InfinitySink
- F5 Bindings
- Vicious grip

Big thanks to @DerelictRobot for cutting me a wicked good deal on this deck and drivetrain, as well as @SeanHacker, @skate420, and @BillGordon for motivating me to finally get this done! Mistfall has been 5 months in the making, so needless to say I definitely needed a kick in the ass haha.

I have put over 60 miles on it in two days, and it’s the most fun I have ever had on an esk8.

Build pics:

Build pics

Glamour shots!

53 Likes

i got no words for it, too good looking :drooling_face:

3 Likes

Frakk’ me, that’s a damn good looking board! Just enough blue to be seen.

5 Likes

SHOW US THE INSIDE

Nevermind, I didn’t see the minimalized pics

I love the layout, welcome to the esc mounted to the lid club

11 Likes

Nice machine, I want to do a hypertrucks build and still not decided on the deck, the haero bro is beautiful, but I also like the trampa for it’s 35º truck angle, I want a turn radius as thight as I can. Maybe the haero with angle risers? I’m also hyped for the new trampa decks. :thinking:

2 Likes

Thanks yall!

Interesting story about this. Not that I have the build threads to prove it, but my builds have followed a theme of “times of the day.”

My first build was Dawn, and so I went with the colors of a sunrise:

(Crib death on this one, never made it out of the cardboard enclosure stage because of poor planning on my part)

My second build, Midnight, was all black (did I mention time times of day were not in order haha)

(This one was uncomfortable as all hell to ride. This is when I learned that urethane on Portland roads is a sucker’s game. The rock hard CF deck didnt help.)

My third build, Dusk, was black and blue like the time between the sunset and the true dark of night.

(Crib death on this one too, again because of poor planning. You would think I would learn my lesson. This is when I decided I needed a clean slate [and fast cash to pay rent] so I chopped up and parted out all of my builds.)

We dont need to discuss my fourth build :joy:

Anyway, I was struggling to come up with another “time of day” name and was considering abandoning the name/theme scheme altogether. Then I read Geroge RR Martin’s “With Morning Comes Mistfall,” a sci-fy short story about a planet covered completely with a strange mist that hides all kinds of mystical shit. Mistfall, in the story, is the time of day when the sun is just about to rise and the mists begin to retreat from the high mountain peaks where the story is set.

So I went with that, and stuck with the black and blue color scheme from Dusk because I like it so much. I wanted to tone it down though, because the night is always darkest before the dawn, hence more black than blue. “Mistfall” also ties into my original goal for this board, which is to have something I can ride in the rain without any concerns. I have missed too many rides because the weather forcast was uncertain and I didnt want to risk getting caught out on any of my other boards.

Now I just need to do something about those damn red baseplates :joy:

13 Likes

Get the Bro. Not even a question in my mind.

I am brand new to channel trucks, and I can already make a full U-turn in nearly one standard US road lane. If you absolutely need more angle then you can wedge it, but this deck is so unbelievably nice I cant imagine using anything else. And the turning abilities possible with these trucks on this deck is unreal, even at the stock 30 degrees.

For reference, I have rode a LaCroix Prototipo, a Kaly XL, and a LaCroix Nazare. None of them compare to the comfort or function of the Bro.

6 Likes

Im actually working on re-doing the internals. I’m attempting to fit all of my tools including bike pump and spare belts inside the box, so I never have to worry about forgetting them. We’ll see how that goes lol.

2 Likes

Nice, I wanted to do the same thing. Are you gonna throw a buck in there? I made mine with 120w of 12v to take on a camping trip one day maybe.

1 Like

Undecided for now. I would like to add some kind of lights to this, but my goal with this build is “fully rain-proof” so I have to think pretty hard how lights will fit into that. I will probably just end up going with self contained lights, and deal with the many things I will then have to charge.

1 Like

Was it named MorningWood? :upside_down_face:

Awesome build dude! :clap:

7 Likes

Make one that’s green and call it ‘High Noon’ :yum:

5 Likes

No, it was named “LoserCruiser” :joy: It can be found on this forum if you know where to look, but I dont recommend it haha.

That’s solid! But I dont want to encroach on @Linny’s turf haha.

5 Likes

Use some glands and do it right! Or some very tight holes and glue like I did.

3 Likes

Or I’ll just ride in the darkness haha. Honestly deck mounted headlights seem like kind of a suckers game in my opinion. The light is too low of an angle to really illuminate the road sufficiently. I much prefer just a handheld flashlight or a head lamp. I’ll probably get some self-contained brake lights though, and mount those to the deck.

:smirk:

1 Like

The contents of that enclosure are like:

A thing of beauty.

How is the pack secured in there btw?

It’s cool you’ve left so much room in there for a change of clothes, a round of sandwiches and a flask of coffee too. It’s the ultimate weekender board!

3 Likes

It’s press-fit in really tightly with thick neoprene. It doesnt even move when I flip the board over haha.

:joy:

That was my goal, but I actually ended up with a lot less spare room in here than I had hoped for. It’s going to be a squeeze trying to fit all my tools in the lid. Going to have to re-work the accessory and wiring placement, and 3D print some custom tool mounting points. Should be fun!

1 Like

That excellent synopsis sounded right up my alley, so I went to hunt down a copy. You left out the part where it’s part of a collection titled Dreamsongs Vol 1. $6 on ebay later, and it’s in the mail!

Thanks.
Also nice build :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pretty much every story and novela in Dreamsongs (vol.1 and 2) are excellent. I’m happy I was able to expand you bookshelf :grin:

2 Likes

DUDE! This build is INCREDIBLE!! Looks like an absolute dream to ride, I bet it’s even better then it looks though :open_mouth:

2 Likes