Wire Gauge Reccommendations

Hello once again, I have recently received my @IDEA Wheelbase Brackets and have now noticed that I’m gonna need some motor Phase Wire extensions to fit the much larger wheelbase. I have ordered 10 AWG as thats what my VESC uses but my actual motors use 7 AWG, im just not exactly sure what Guage I should use to just extend my motors connections to the vesc. I imagine the extension will be ~6 inches or mabye a tad more.

Thanks!

Wow that need to be huge motors.
Maybe you could post a picture that we can see your setup. Might help.

5 Likes

TB 6380s, not super huge? I dont think so at least.

no way that is 7ga wire…

5 Likes

I mean i measured it and it lined up with the 7 AWG diameter as well as Amperage ratings but im also not an electrician lmao

what amps do you plan MAXIMUM throwing at each motor?

1 Like

~85 or so I was thinking since they are 89 amp max motors

1 Like

I’d ask Dex hey @torqueboards do you have an extension cable available for your 6380 motors?
I’d venture that 10Ga would be plenty, but me personally I’d rewire either the motor or the ESC to eliminate the need for another set of connectors… the connectors themselves add more resistance than a smaller ga wire with no connectors…

and a 170amp battery is no fukking joke

are you saying to unsolder the connectors and just solder on another wire? then reconnect the connector to the end of the extension?

don’t necessarily do what I say, but if I needed 6" more phase wire I’d rewire something ESC or motors to eliminate the additional connector… I hate having a buncha connectors and crap and shit that could go wrong in my esk8s

let’s see what Dex has to say…

1 Like

sounds good, yea id love to desolder my vesc wires but the connections that flipsky put on there are so clean lmao

shudder

1 Like

?
am i missing something lmao

1 Like

flipsky and clean solder joins

we all miss that

2 Likes

My 6.6 actually came looking pretty on point… didn’t have to fix any of them

1 Like

I’m guessing you’re mistaking the outside diameter of the insulation and the chart you’re looking at is just for the actual copper.
Most motors I’ve seen are 12awg.

8 Likes

Right. There’s no way it’s 7 AWG. I don’t think I have even seen motors with 10 AWG. Typically it’s 12 AWG or even 14 AWG.

7 Likes

This is my 6355 Maytech motor with 12 AWG wires. The black and red wires are 7 AWG. :smile:

2 Likes

10 or even 12 should be fine for your purpose :slight_smile:

4 Likes
6 Likes