Wire Gauge Reccommendations

Thank you guys for the help, I will stick with the 10 Gauge

2 Likes

Note that the current through the phase wires is sinusoidal in FOC mode. So using .707 as a factor is fine for picking motor wire gauge. That number converts to RMS.
So for example. If you’re choosing a wire and you say 60a is max, then you really only need a wire that can do .707*60 =42 amps

Pretty sure that’s true anyway. Maybe somebody knows for sure. I’m just inferring

That said. I personally just have 10awg and 14awg on hand and use whatever is more appropriate, erring on the side.of too big.

2 Likes

I member the time i made a battery pack for my bud, using 8awg series connection so it could take a punch. Then we ordered a makerx mini and it had 14, i really wanted to cry.

2 Likes

7awg is bigger than the 5.5mm connector without insulation haha

Whenever I rewire phase wires 12ga. Is my go to…

2 Likes

do you rewind stators too? :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Not SK3s or SK8s

But yeah I’ve been known to…

The epoxy over-coat on the SKs makes the job untenable…

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

Always wanted to wind a motor from scratch, no idea what for :laughing:
How long does it take on average?

3 Likes

Your first one will take for-fucking-ever…

But after practice it only takes a couple of hours to pack all the copper in there gUud-n-tight. And terminate it properly

Getting the wire off the stator, on some motors is often times more difficult that the actual rewinding

4 Likes

Dunk the whole thing in an etching solution.
Dissolve the copper and the core remains.
The dispose of several liters of toxic waste :smiley:

Your dino dildo antenna will be simulated tonight btw. Took too long to generate the solid last night

2 Likes

If i could figger out a cheep, easy method of reinsulating the stator core i’d be in like flynn!

1 Like

How do they insulate that core anyway, is it powdercoat!?

Naaah it must be a dip right?

It’s some sort of high-temp epoxy or sumpin’…

1 Like

Yeah but they dip that? Or how do they do that, maybe we can st34l it xD

Im getting some motors in from @PixelatedPolyeurthan soon and im quite interested in the rewiring stuffs.

1 Like

presently I’m not sure, but I’d guess it was dipped to get an even coating of insulation

2 Likes

Imma do some googeling around then.

the “best” case is that the stator insulation isn’t damaged when removing the windings…
you can get plenty of brush on epoxy insulation, but it can get quite pricey… when I saw the amount of damage the stator insulation was taking… and the amount of work to get less than 1/2 done i abandoned the project as to time/labor/parts constraints…

I’ve taken apart stator windings that were easy-peasy just clip and unwind… the SK3/8 series motors was not in that realm…

good luck brother

1 Like

Naah after i aw your shenanigans ill never rewind those. I believe they are 6384 motors

Also this seems useful, imma go reading this

1 Like

6374s but yeah… a complete waste of time

3 Likes

Aah no im sorry i was talking about the fact that ill be rewinding different motors not those sk3s after i saw your struggle.

3 Likes