Wider trucks = more stable?

Makes sense. He didn’t look too comfortable on that board imo. Stance could use some work

2 Likes

That man is obviously a noob, he isn’t using the remote wrist strap!

2 Likes

This thing doesn’t wobble very much. @mmaner :wink:
eb3d1773dbcad639d8a04c681c79ab7537ef3851_2_666x500

8 Likes

While we’re here talking about channel trucks can someone explain the “channel truck lean back” to me?

I understand it has something to do with the trailing rear truck being more stable due to the angle or something than the front with the reverse angle.

1 Like

Stability is going to be relative to tons of factors. The wider contact area will feel more stable, but it will also be less responsive to lean from the board
But stability while moving is related to many things, kingpin type and angle being the most significant. Angle of the hangers will have the biggest influence in keeping the wheels pointed forward and not subjecting to wobble and jerk steer caused by bumps. (When one wheel experiences a change in elevation compare to the other, the wheels turn ever so slightly, and nearly instantly, this is what can make you feel unstable)

Wider is obviously going to be more stable, but it needs to be matched with the appropriate wheels

It’s true that downhill uses those and goes insanely fast, but you can see those boards getting lively under their feet. That’s a fine line of chaotic control where responsiveness is king for inducing slides to control speed.
For esk8 where we might be talking straight line speed and a calmer rider, I think width will win

Getting the angles right for your ride is the first step. If it’s mostly a high speed cruiser, you may have to make sacrifices in the name of stability. But don’t expect a 7 ft turning radius for a board that you ride 30mph

Just my opinion.

7 Likes

Probably stating the obvious here.

Wobbles have a lot to do with the rider. Wether hypertrucks, 20° with Randal DH hangars, 215 Indy’s, Any of the slew of precision’s with various angles, rakes and distance from the axle and kingpin intersection to any other channel truck, you can have a rider at 40mph never wobble on any, to a rider that wobbles on any of them at any speed they are remotely uncomfortable with and everything in between.

I don’t see anything in particular that makes hypertrucks more or less stable than anything, but I haven’t ridden them. Maybe they are stable because of the width, but I do know for a fact that certain geometries are proven (to me at least) to be inherently more (and in some cases at least feel) more stable than channel truck designs. I don’t want to detail to bashing on channel trucks, I don’t bash them… and I’d love to draw a diagram to address the previous image in this thread and why I think this to be true, but the wife has dinner ready right now.

All this said, I don’t think you are at all off base with your response and I am not denying or disputing the fact that in most cases hypertrucks probably are more stable at high speed than other trucks, just attempting to shine some light on the nuances.

3 Likes

Don’t get him started Alan, he will literally eat you.

Personally, I like my boards like I like my women, with a phat fucking ass.

Is it more stable? Fuck if I know, but it just feels right to me.

12 Likes

The man is a poet

6 Likes

With a uni you stay a virgin forever mate

13 Likes

I’m gonna get a uni so I have that to blame

9 Likes

Small correction to your diagram

2 Likes

I need to say something… The fact that downhill and high-speed slalom riders are riding 120mm trucks, and we are riding ultra-wide and everything in-between at nearly or past the same speeds as those disciplines should indicate that truck width probably doesn’t play much of a factor when it comes to stability.

I can’t speak for channel trucks, except that the closer the axle is to in line with the pivot pin (not past) probably means better grip and less agile response for lack of leverage.

When it comes to standard RKP geometry, sorry, my years of experience play-doughed through the shape of a tipsy brain leads me to the following conclusions regarding stability and truck handling.

5 Likes

That seems to make a lot of sense to me.
Wheelbase, truck width and angle should be matched for smooth turning.
I will see if I can find a good resource on this.

This thread went off the rails. Width of truck has very little to do with stability at speed. The more impactful factor will be the angles each truck is at. Dh riders use narrow trucks purely to maintain speed in corners, due to having more grip. This means they can get down the hill faster. They then run split angles to tackle wobbles at higher speeds. Just my 2 cents but it’s what I saw while racing with some seriously good skaters.

4 Likes

You can tune any set up to be stable at the cost of manoeuvrability but in the end its rider skill that counts.

Wobbles happen to people that shouldn’t be going that fast regardless of the speed they are doing.

Deck length has more to do with stability than width of trucks but again if you know what you’re doing then you can basically ride anything.

40mph is my absolute limit for my bodies ability to correct anything with muscle memory. I just don’t have the reaction time anymore but someone younger wouldn’t have an issue with the same riding skill going way over that. Some of the shit set ups we rode in the early 80’s down stupid hills would literally kill me now.
Moral is don’t get old boys and girls.

15 Likes

I’ll try to keep that in mind and stop time one day.

or reverse time.

taps quantum button

.emit eserever ro

.yad eno emit pots dna dnim no taht peek ot yrt ll’I

3 Likes

I was thinking latin? :joy:

1 Like

I suppose we could summarize this thread then with a nice conclusion:

• Wider trucks prevent you from tipping your board over, and (with the same bushing hardness) are harder to turn, which could lead to less speed wobbles. However, they are less agile, making it harder to control wobbles if you do get them.
  • Narrower trucks give you more grip in turns.
  • At the end of the day, just pick whatever matches your deck width / desired drive train / desired board feel, and then pick appropriate bushings and angle the trucks to not have wobbles.

Anyone disagree, or can we call that a wrap?

6 Likes

I disagree. We can call it a :taco:

3 Likes

This is key. Also, keys not forget to try weird stuff. SR TKPs are sloppy on an Evo when stock. Both @Battosaii and I found, independently, that a long barrel street side rear gives the lean return a much more familiar feeling.

8 Likes