Wider trucks = more stable?

I would add too that acceleration plays a big part in squirrelling. That was a big learning curve for me. Very hard to ride out wobbles when the back end is walking all over the road. Downhill is a nice slow build up where you can set yourself up nicely but flat sticking off the line with your weight or feet wrong and streetface. Thats when bushing set up is very important. Again though it does come down to rider skill ultimately but you can make life easier by correctly setting up trucks.

TKP on an evo???

5 Likes

Itā€™s surprisingly nimble, lots of fun.

4 Likes

I am not talking to you btw. You stole my firebird deck idea. :rofl:

snooze you lose I guess

6 Likes

The firebird belongs in Alabama

2 Likes

Careful we are flirting with that canadian

1 Like

They are a myth. Canada doesnā€™t actually exist.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying for 2 years to get a screaming chicken, the artwork was murder.

6 Likes

For real though, you want be to design you something?

5 Likes

I do. I am just trying to sort out what I want. Bit like a tattoo. need to be damn sure

7 Likes

Cool, I have the artwork now so no big. I couldnā€™t find anything hi res enough so had to redraw it from a trace. Took forever.

PM when you have some ideas and Iā€™ll work it up.

5 Likes

Thanks brother.

3 Likes

Ainā€™t no worry.

1 Like

can confirm

2 Likes

We talk about split angles of trucks a lot but ignore truck distance effects on stability

Wider trucks do increas turning radius.

Personally I also believe larger wheel diameter are worse for stability but too small and the vibrations also decreased stability.

Wider wheel width increases stability as you feel a few less of the holes in the road.

Useing very soft phane also decreases stability but increase comfort and grip

Iā€™m sure some of you will disagree with some of my opinions but thatā€™s what I found

There is a reason why down hill riders like smaller wheels with a wider contact patch less depth of harder phane. Esk8 are pussys looking for more comfort

1 Like

Ugh, no?

5 Likes

Ugh YES in my experience. sticking wider trucks in the same deck will result in more edge presser to achieve turning in the same space. For most riders this results in a wider turn by increasing the truck width. Thatā€™s what I also found when I swoped from caliber to Ecaliber trucks. I dropped the bushing duro to compensate. I presume it also has a effect with dragging the inside and outside of the wheel around corners.

Idk if that makes sense. If you had some comically long hangers, in order to keep the same turning radius the inside wheel would become a pivot.

To me it would make more sense if the inside wheel between hangers had the same turn radius. So the Turn radius from center of board would increase by half of the additional hanger length. Meaning longer hangers increase turn radius (slightly). Assuming same angle truck of course

1 Like

Wouldnt wider trucks increase the chance of wobbles due to it being harder to control the resonance over such a large lever? Thats how my brain sees it.

4 Likes

@glyphiks :+1:the hanger functions as a lever through a mechanical connection to the deck. The more degrees on the baseplate, the more the hanger has leverage effect over the deck and steering input control. The wider the hanger the more leverage it has on this connection when oscillations or frontal dynamic force is applied to wheel or hanger. Also takes a longer time to recover due to above. Add the weight of heavy wheels, motors and now the recovery time from oscillation is increased

7 Likes

This thread is entertaining as fuckā€¦

3 Likes