Wider trucks = more stable?

Just thought of a counter argument to my post:

Wouldn’t the pressure stay the same overall since the downward force would just change from 50/50 on the left vs right wheel to 70/30 or 100/0?

While that is the case, I imagine urethane has a finite amount of grip per pressure and it’s more economical to share that force between each wheel. rather than loading it all on one wheel which; while that wheel gains pressure and traction, it might not be as effective as sharing that force across wheels.

Good article on narrow vs thicc but does not explain the physics behind it.

5 Likes

The main difference between wide versus narrow is how easy or predictable it is to come in and out of slides.
I feel like on wider trucks it’s much easier to overcorrect when you do get wobbles.
Narrow trucks are easier to power through it.

3 Likes

Think of where the kingpin is located and you have the answer. If you’re leaning enough to get your opposite wheel off the ground, I’d say you’re almost certainly on your way down.

1 Like

To me it seems like the lever has 2 arms – 1 from the wheel against the ground (fulcrum point) to the center of mass of the skateboard, and the arm from the fulcrum point to the edge of your deck where you put your force to turn the deck. If your hanger was 0mm wide, the skateboard would tip over instantly, because of infinite leverage.

And I believe that in my drawing, where the trucks are wider than the deck, it should be impossible to tip the deck over, as long as you apply the force directly downwards. If you’re already falling to the side, and put force on the deck from the side as well, then maybe? you can tip it, although I think your wheels need to slide out for that.

Just playing around with my board I can’t get it to tip unless I pull the deck to 1 side with friction, or if I apply pressure to the part of the deck that’s wider than the wheels.

1 Like

I feel people confuse nimble steering from narrow hangers as unstable or vise versa. There are so many other factors though

4 Likes

I think the width of trucks is also related to the wheelbase length, and to the baseplate angle through a magic formula. Just a matter of geometry.
Leaning on a truck at a set angle will define a curve radius. You want the 2 trucks to be essentially in sync with that curve. And that’s where the wheelbase comes into play. Any significant mismatch and you’ll have something with a tendency to oversteer or understeer, and that just relies on the traction or slip of the wheel to make that curve. And for a given duro and contact patch, those are speed dependent…

Find the formula that binds all this to have a board that turns consistently at all speeds, and you’ll be rich!

4 Likes

Sorry but you know absolutely nothing about trucks

2 Likes

We all did at one point or another

4 Likes

True but then we read and learned before making statements :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

+1

@Halbj613 :no_mouth:

3 Likes

I have wide trucks, regular mountainboard trucks, 180 Paris trucks, and common skate trucks…At high speed the wider trucks do not feel too stable but for turning and cruising they are amazing…regular MTB Trampa trucks with barrels are great for everything but can not match the feeling of the wider trucks, 180 and lower are great too (easy handling)…I think It is more about the entire set up, like bushings, wheels, board, etc…The truth is that I love the extended E-Toxx MBS trucks, mostly for the way they look…

1 Like

if bigger trucks are more sable then why do Lacroix’s hypertrucks still get wobbles? :upside_down_face: :man_shrugging:

Lacroix’s hypertrucks are 19"

3 Likes

You don’t need wide trucks to make a stable deck, but ti’s easier to make a stable deck with wide trucks.

What the hell are you smokin? I did 40mph on a highway in traffic on a Lonestar and there was absolutely zero wobble.

5 Likes

Remember this guy? (not sure if sarcasm?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIwOA7GY4RY.

Those be some wobbles lol.

2 Likes

Tighten up the KP, cant have it flopping around :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was pointing to he fact that people think wider trucks are more stable.

for ex. people who dont know how to ride get on hyper trucks and they start wobbling at 20~

@mmaner Wide trucks dont exactly mean stability is what i was trying to say.

4 Likes

Ive done 36~ on the OG lacroix no wobbles.

And this is why everyone should just get a uni :grinning:

1 Like

He was wobbling more than not. :flushed::flushed:

1 Like

Yah. He’se a uni bro. Not sure he had much skate experience before Colorado.

1 Like