Why are we not using pp45s

Allegedly they upgraded the antispark in the v2

However, the main point is that they test each one before it goes out

1 Like

and still exist (and aren’t scumbags) if you need to get warranties

ye, i do like 320 for the small stuff, 360 for most of the big stuff,

don’t like to roast off the flux so fast

1 Like

sooooo these connectors are crap. They melted on me after 10 minutes of 30A charging. Don’t ever use them, please.

It’s not that visible, but you can kinda see it on the bottom left ant top right connector. After getting super hot, the plastic housing melted and the contact sunk into the casing. Thus, no electrical connection.
It seems these connectors aren’t made from heat-resistant plastic like the amass XT connectors we are used to.

8 Likes

casually charging at 30a

15 Likes

yeah, that 6p 30q pack sure didn’t like it xD
but I had practically no time for charging and wanted a quick ride before sundown with my buddy who was already on the way.

Don’t worry, this was a one time thing. I usually charge at 4-8A

3 Likes

I’ve run these at 30A on a motor dyno for hours on end, which crimping tool did you use?

1 Like

These came from an ebike motor (bbshd) already crimped and with 10 or 12 AWG wires. I can cut the casing open when I get home and take pictures if you want.

XT60 ant XT90 on the same wires didn’t get warm at all

this is the setup (messy testing phase of the psu)

1 Like

Check the quality of the crimp

While a good crimp is better than a good solder joint, a bad crimp is significantly worse than a bad solder joint. The reason why they need a ratcheting crimp tool is because too little force and the wire doesn’t actually crimp, too much force, the casing and the wire will shatter. The ratcheting action makes applying the correct amount of force much easier.

I actually ran into a bad crimp on the same motor dyno I mentioned. The connection was getting 20 °C hotter than everything else it was connected to.

The wires wouldn’t be the culprit.

4 Likes

This is the main reason I strongly prefer solder.

3 Likes

If you use the right crimping tool, you don’t have to worry about it.

If someone else is making your connections, then that’s another story; you ask that person to solder xD.

Imma solder all the stuffs.

I’ve had a ton of failures, but so far my solder joints aren’t on the list.

So far.

But I’ve also been soldering since the 1980s.

1 Like

Coupla things. Better to have an ACTIVE solder gun, that tries to maintain heat, with power and thermostat. It al;ows lower temp and still good joint.

Why are the solder nests on bullets sooooooooooo short?

And finally, which method is more likely to result in a good joint, after a good joint?

1 Like

Doesn’t look too bad I’d say

5 Likes

What does the backside of the crimp look like? That’s the important part for split terminals like this.

Someone else I talk to who uses PP45s up their rated limited also mentioned that if the terminal is not properly seated it can also get excessively hot since the mating force on the PP45s is relatively low. If you are using highly flexible stranded wire, you have to jam the terminal into the housing pretty hard with a screwdriver. There’s a distinctive click when it gets in far enough.

So then yes, then we shouldn’t use PP45s by virtue of the higher chance of incorrect assembly from third parties

Another possibility is, just like how fake XT60s and fake XT90s exist, that fake Anderson Power Poles connectors exist.

Sorry your experience with them was not up to the manufacturer’s specification.

The rated contact resistance is in the micro-ohm range.

4 Likes

All this tells me is to keep using xt90s…

1 Like

IMO round connectors like bullets and XT90s give contact surface area than flat connectors.

1 Like

The robotics discord is in agreement that the voltage is the issue. With 48V over 1KW at 30A.

Connectors only see the voltage drop, not the voltage between two wires on a different contact.

3 Likes

whyring