Why are we not using pp45s

These things are better than bullets in every way

• No soldering needed
  • Can be assembled and disassembled quickly as a group of 3 or individually. This means you can easily swap phase order and ensure correct phase order.
  • Easy to connect and disconnect
  • Low and well defined contact resistance.
  • Rugged and well insulated with no need for heatshrink

Why are we not using these things?

4 Likes

I guess cause they’re more expensive, bigger and needs a crimping tool?

16 Likes

This is the answer

3 Likes

I dont really understand why the cost of a connector is this important when everything else on the board costs hundreds of dollars.

Is the size difference really that significant to the point it doesnt fit?

2 Likes

Grin Technologies made a nice video about their batteries and how versatile these connectors are ^^

I think their battery concept is really great.

But for us the connector is too low amperage. We need high amperage, long burst/semi continuous connectors…

3 Likes

You’re limited by the wire diameter, not the connector.

10AWG itself is only rated for 50A continuous

Not really… those 50A are continuous for longer wires.

We are using pretty short wires in general and also not so much current all the time.
I have many trampa logs where my battery current avg. is about 10A only. We could probably use smaller wires, but overbuilding can’t be bad.

Silicone wire - measured and tested - YouTube these guys show the current capabilities over a 10cm piece, which is more equivalent to the typical eboard cable lengths.

2 Likes

I would probably say because we have xt90s

5 Likes

oh and also because they can be clipped together one or the other way. This means when u’re not careful you can connect them the wrong way and reverse polarity stuff.

2 Likes

I trust a good solder connection over a crimped one any day of the week

9 Likes

Crimping is generally more reliable than soldering, especially in high vibratory environments. Only downside is that with most crimp connectors you need a tool for it.

4 Likes

is that true?

1 Like

And assuming the user doesnt cheap out on the tool and actually crimps it correctly.

2 Likes

Look at the connectors in your car. You will be hard pressed to find any soldered ones

5 Likes

I believe its more likely you get a good solder connection than a good crimp connection

My car also had an entire suspension system, is the size of my esk8 shop, and the wires are transferring less than 500W at any point (minus the alternator wires)

With the correct tool, its actually the opposite, and you’ll need way less skill to get a good crimp too.

4 Likes

I just dont see how a crimp would have as much electrical contact as a stranded wire 100% soaked in conductive material.

2 Likes

The best option is both.

2 Likes

No, you’ll ruin a good crimp with solder.

6 Likes

Idk about contact area, I was only talking about reliability. Solder actually breaks if you vibrate it enough.