Who here builds batteries for free?

About half of the cutting edge vaporized and it sounded like a gunshot. This was not a pair of thin wire cutting dykes either, this was one of those heavy duty ones straight out of the automotive toolbox. :joy:

9 Likes

Sounds like that one time when I was still an electrician and I cut into a 277v lighting circuit with a brand new pair of kleinsā€¦gg no re lol

7 Likes

Lol, i get at least one little short every pack :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

I shorted my first lipo a year ago. It sits now in my drawer with one dead cell. :jack_o_lantern:

4 Likes

Shorted a pack too whilst building.

5 Likes

@Lee_Wright I wouldnā€™t agree that price of pack dictates quality. For example, @Acido and I are from not so rich country, average monthly salary is around 700 eur - and most people earn much less than that. Earning around 100 eur per battery (for 8-12h of work) is actually pretty good here - earning much more than average salary and still offering competitive prices. Local people think that our belowe average price is still very expensive and it would be stupid/greedy to have one price for locals and another for richer Europeans. Hell, sometimes I have to give discounts to locals because I feel sorry for them (they see price of chinese batteries on ebay and after that everything is expensive). Maybe I am wrong, time will tell.

10 Likes

yeah that makes sense! Since labor is the most expensive part, we might as well outsource that! Where would be a good place for cheap labor though?.. China! oh waitā€¦

5 Likes

I always start with 3-4 protons, 3 neutrons and 3 electrons and a bottle of water to speed up the process

5 Likes

Using prebuilt protons? Thatā€™s not DIY. I build my protons with quarks mined from dark matter.

15 Likes

Shit, Iā€™ll turn in my chemistry set in shame

But Iā€™m keeping my bottle of waterā€¦makes me turn faster

9 Likes

Mate thatā€™s amazing and well done for supporting your community. I get that totally bro but in my local economy it is obviously a bit different. I dont doubt your abilities but in general in the UK you can pay less but you get less.

This is a Ā£250 10S4P here (the pack I repaired) I should add this is pre repair :sweat_smile: we sorted it out.

1 Like

I build 1s1p packs for free, I donā€™t bother with a bms

22 Likes

Iā€™d take free shipping any time!

4 Likes

Yes, you can very much be Doing It Yourself.

How about ESCs? If youā€™re not designing your own ESC, are you Doing It Yourself? What if youā€™re not mining the metal your trucks are made from? Are you Doing It Yourself?

Iā€™d argue that even prebuilts that have been heavily modified and/or modified many times over should be qualified as DIY because there may not be much original skate left. (Iā€™m not talking about deck or wheel swaps)

2 Likes

I put stickers on my Boosted. #DIY

14 Likes

So @longhairedboy and @Lee_Wright should we assume that if we pay less than (maybe that stop high letā€™s say 500US$) 700US$ for a 12S4P pack it is a fire hazard with no warranty?

Also assuming that the fine folks of the community who donā€™t like money and make packs for kicks donā€™t exist in the real world.

1 Like

If you are using your own hands to build it itā€™s a DIY

6 Likes

Been wishing for that for a long time

5 Likes

I would just add up the math, look up cost of cells from a genuine site, multiply the cost of those cells + # of cells in your pack, then add in materials + BMS, which is anywhere from $30-100 depending on the BMS, + about 4-6 hours labor cost.

2 Likes

:imp:

Definitely not that. Oh lawd not that!

3 Likes