Where to put the stinking Battery

So I’m working on a new carbon fiber deck for a new build. I have a new build thread to come! But I have a fun question first. Where do I want to put my battery? I’m building a drop deck. Here are pictures of the molds I have modeled.

Below I put screenshots of the mold designs, first battery below, then battery on top.

Pros to batt below:
More integrated/cleaner look,
integrated below makes waterproofing easier,
more space to stand up top.
Cons:
Deck needs to be higher to make sure nothing hits,

Pros to batt up top:
Less space length required,
lower deck/more ground clearance,

Cons:
Less space up top,
more work to waterproof because of bottom access,
harder wiring job?

Either way, I would love your guy’s input. Especially from those of you who have had both.

1 Like

When you can never top mount it’s ugly and if you’re going to the length to design your own deck I’m sure you value looks. Bottom single stacks on drops rarely need risers and if you can go double stack a half inch should normally do, also depends on what wheel size you plan to use. Also carbon fiber usually sucks for decks keep that in mind

1 Like

Why not do that top bump enclosure but cut the top off and use a lid? (less prone to damage on top imo)

I don’t really have experience making my own molds and forming CF on it, what method are your using?

I’m looking at a cf/kevlar deck. I’ll either do a wet layup or use prepreg, or maybe a combination of the two. I’m working that through in my composites class. Though what makes straight cf decks suck so much @Kellag ? And I’ll be putting it all on Iwonder 120mm wheels.

2 Likes

Usually the radio interfere with the reciever the conductivity if you do blow up a battery pack, the concave usually sucks etc etc. If you can do it right tho props

1 Like

Well I’m matching the concave to the deck I have and like. That’s an interesting point I was unaware of about the radio connection.

1 Like

Yeah it can create a bit of a wireless cage that can hurt your remote connection, you’ll have to have a pretty damn solid connection somehow. Or put the reciever in an external cage/create a window sort of deal for it

Maybe I could make the top lid out of fiberglass and dye it to keep it in the color scheme?

2 Likes

I mean sure you could, or you could just make the deck out of wood, or you could just buy a deck. Depends how hard you want to make things for yourself

1 Like

This build started as a final project for my composites class. The more I do it out of composites the cheaper it is for me because of lab fees I already paid.

3 Likes

Ah that’s pretty cool actually, I would suggest you make a cf deck with maybe a internal compartment and a lid made out of fiberglass or something. Just rip off the raptor deck

1 Like

Back to the research part of everything…

Please elaborate. How would you do that?

The receiver location is second chair. That’s easy, drill a circular window in the CF and fiber glass that hole.

I hate bottom mount boards. Because it’s always a sloppy shit show lining up screws and enclosures that will crack.

Evolve put their receiver in the tail. The roof here is plastic.

I’m always opening my board, so I like top mount. I do admit, it is … goofy looking.

7 Likes

It’s not bad if you don’t use crappy cf decks😉

1 Like

Love u too

How big of a window would I need in order to maintain a secure connection? And the main body of either enclosure would be integrated into the deck with a lot for access.

No I haven’t. Do you have a link?

1 Like

I take that back, I used a window for a little bit, I think I ran into issues.

I have resorted to pulling the antenna out of the enclosure and putting it in shrink wrap That is epoxyed to the deck.

The are engineering/design ways around antenna placement.

Batteries lower than deck are optimal for center of gravity.

3 Likes

Do you think just a fiberglass lid would work? Or should I line the whole compartment with it? I am a bit hesitant about making anything external because I am afraid of that just being one more thing to fix and one more thing that would be extremely tough to change. Especially if I’m doing something like using epoxy to secure the antenna.