Where to put the stinking Battery

Put the battery / enclosure in the deck, treat the outer part of the “ladder” as rails and strengthen them, then close the hole in the middle with screw-on lids top and / or bottom.

2 Likes

That was the plan. Up top are pictures of moulds for a carbon fiber layup. So the enclosure would be integrated.

1 Like

Did your receiver come with one of the hard plastic tube that keeps antennas stiff? If not use a black coffee stirrer straw? Adhere that tube to the outside of the deck/enclosure. Drill a small hole for the antenna to come out from the enclosure. Slide the antenna into said tube. Add a dot of hot glue to prevent it from sliding out.

1 Like

I actually don’t have one yet. I’ve been looking at all the different remotes and I’m not quite sold on one yet.

I recommend a top battery box but the lid is inlaid in the deck and the batteries still live below the deck surface. Quarter turn fasteners inwards of the foot placement areas.

Maybe you lay up two and send me one :grin:

1 Like

Essentially what I said, and widen / lengthen the deck until there is no bump?

Fiberglass top, carbon fiber bottom for the win. Keep the radio signal free and clear.

1 Like

Then an integrated deck is probably not for you LoLz

It’s my opinion that if you need to open your skate up all the time, then it does not work correctly :ok_hand:

Kind of like a car where you have to take the valve cover off constantly. Not a good car.

Have a look at this complete integrated cf deck, the circle in the centre is actually a plastic plug that houses the receiver. No drop outs at all.

5 Likes

Do you have some pics from the side?

1 Like

Oh, It’s gonna be glass frit alright.

1 Like

I have 1 left in stripped down state so when I get a minute I will take some pics for you. The deck itself is an Ali express special that I got a couple of years back as a sample moq. Got 3 of them. Enclosure is too small for anything over 40 cells though. Its actually foam filled carbon fibre so weighs nothing.

This shows the plug

3 Likes

That’s amazing how small that patch needs to be. Is your receiver directly below that?

2 Likes

Stuck on the plug. No longer a faraday cage.

Thats just an example of what you can do. End of the day its how to achieve the strongest signal you can regardless of deck material.

I ride goofy and use my right hand for my remote so my receivers are always on the right hand side and towards the front so when I am riding my transmitter is closest to my receiver.

Makes non scientific practical sense.

2 Likes

@Dareno what would you say the diameter of your plug is? I have a few ideas brewing and I am wondering how big I might want to start looking.

1 Like

Its about 40mm so can hold a plastic cased receiver like the mini or nano but if you use a pcb only type receiver then you could shave some size off it. Most pcb receivers are tiny little things. The maytech one for example is 20mm wide ish.

Right on. I have some designs brewing about a center plug to allow for a signal.

1 Like

So as an update, I have been playing around with different designs and now I’m curious as to how wide I want to go. I have seen integrated decks with no ridges where it is just flat on the sides. How go you guys like that? Or do you like your boards with a ridge?

This is what I’m talking about.

1 Like

Anything is possible with enough failures.

1 Like

That’s true. But with those failures comes a lot of composites I can’t afford multiple attempts.

1 Like