Wheelie/Manual mode for a skateboard

I decided my board needs a cheating mode, something that could help me balance.

I’m VERY surprised commercial boards don’t have this mode yet, but i guess they will soon :slight_smile:

Here is video of me riding it. Had to shoot indoor as it was raining a lot in Seattle recently

I’m very new to skateboarding, my total experience with any kind of skateboards is less than 10 hours total. I do have a solowheel and onewheel though and that helped a lot. I think i’m far better at riding this skate in balance mode than in regular. I’m pretty sure experinced skaters can find some other uses and tricks for this mode.

The whole project started as an experiment, I was not sure if this is going to succeed, so I picked cheap parts. I think it would use more powerful motors for my v2 board.

My Setup:

• 90mm Dual 6364 Hub motors from ebay
  • 9.75 x 36.5" NATURAL LONGBOARD SKATEBOARD Deck. You need a wide tail deck, this one is not the best choice.
  • 2x VESC 4
  • STM32F401 microprocesor
  • MPU-6050
  • 5s 5000mAh battery I had laying around. It is slow with 5s, 10s would be nice.
  • Code: https://github.com/blezalex/balance_skate
  • HGLRC YK01 2.4G remote. Any PPM remote would do. YK01 is very fragile, don’t recommend it.

I started this post at the other forum, but looks like a lot of the crowd moved here and some asked to post here as well.

54 Likes

Dude… I myself am just starting the powered extended wheelie on an eboard… It’s fucking hard… But I’m determined to master it… Full-manual on demand… And titanium skid-plate on the kick to give me max sparx when required…

I just don’t know if my quest will kill me yet.

9 Likes

So can you go faster and it will stay in manual? How does it work exactly (by exactly I mean dumb it way down)?

1 Like

This looks crazy, imagine doing a wheelie all the way to work!

Also curious behind the magic behind this! I guess the STM32F401 and MPU-6050 are involved, but do they like automatically ajust your speed to make the wheelie continue?

3 Likes

it make board like one wheel

6 Likes

Yes, it will stay in manual until you approach the max speed limit of the board. It run mine with 5S battery so the max speed is very low, 10mph or so). I can double the speed by going 10S.
You can stand still, go forward or go back. You can also rotate almost in-place.

I added a small chip to my board so it senses the position of the board and adjusts the throttle of the motors to keep me balanced. The more I fall forward the more torque it gives to the motors, which keeps me balanced and accelerates the board at the same time.

As you may have noticed, i’m not using my remote controller much, turning and speed control is done by leaning sideways and forward to back.

9 Likes

or:

4 Likes

Board internals

6 Likes

That is actually quite difficult. People will stop you to ask how you do that :slight_smile: I was stopped twice before I left the street I live at

7 Likes

If you can switch this on and off from your remote on the fly, that’d be the clincher.

6 Likes

Black magic… Gotcha :laughing:

Would this work with different drives than hub motors?

:laughing:

3 Likes

Haha, I would definitely have stopped you!

It’s a very cool feature, Is it always active or can you shut the processor off and use the board like a normal esk8?

4 Likes

Funny job and well executed ! GG :slight_smile:

Can it be activated on demand (“normal esk8” then “cheating manual board” if a button is pressed) ?

3 Likes

My dude…

YAS!

2 Likes

First ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not! :rofl:

4 Likes

loser

2 Likes

Fuck ! It was on my display but it changed after. Second then ! :wink:

you are “lucky pierre”

you will leave portland a changed person…

very cool, I’m totally expecting v2 with a kickflip button :wink:

8 Likes