Remote by PotatoSkaters is (almost) here [SERIOUS]

the only feature I could think of that I’d use the dead man switch for is “a balance board” pull the dead man switch, angle the board and bingo… balance mode… throttle the wheel for zoom-zoom… no balance

2 Likes

You mean like a wheelie mode? :sweat_smile:

We’ll definitely store that in the “aboslutely insane ideas we might do at some point” shelf. Not sure if it’s possible on the VESC tho?

3 Likes

Yeah, that is what we are thinking too.

1 Like

The usb-c is definetly a nice touch, added with the possibilities of the receiver it could make for a solid remote.
I hope i can connect to the receiver with vesc tool at least (so i can skip a second receiver just for this).

Now what is really important for me and probably others:
How do you implement cruise control?
Is it like vx1, where it keeps the set throttle position and doesn’t care about speed, or,
Trampa/hoyt puck style, where it actually keeps the set speed, let’s say 30km/hr both uphill and downhill/straights?

Other minor ones:
Any plans for a metal throttle wheel with center setpoint? (That cold metal feeling and weight/inertia feels nice)
Sillicone/rubber coated case? Don’t get me wrong but a 3d printed remote is going to look like a 3d printed remote.
Moar battery? (People are putting 1Ah lipos in vx1’s)
Different throttle spring strength alternatives?
Can speed modes change vesc parameters on the fly? (Like max erpm/top speed, max motor amps) if so hopefully custom profiles available in the app?

Just a few off my heart. 150€ is steep for a remote that shows off on the software side

1 Like

Thanks for pointing is us to that. Yes, that looks about how we would want it to do.

Ohhh it’s already possible! Wheelie/Manual mode for a skateboard

Just need a remote implementation of it :stuck_out_tongue:

Ideally a vesc with an internal IMU is needed but you can always use an external one.

2 Likes

Yes, we already have a working support for it but we are still ironing out the implementation, which is why I didn’t show it off in the video.

Currently there is none. This is quite high on the priority list and we will implement whichever method community thinks is the best. I personally think that setting fixed km/h is the better option and that’s what we have in mind currently.

Easy. Consider it done. It’s gonna probably be an extra / add-on at cost.

Yes, we have plans for the final remote to be painted with soft-touch coating. We will be injection molding for the production version and printing SLS versions for the BETA units - no hobby grade 3D printing for the consumers.

Yes. The one in the pictures is just the one we had laying around. We will try to fill all the empty space with battery for sure.

This is probably one thing which we won’t be able to do. You might be able to add extra resistance to the current joystick but making this a customizable feature is probably not viable for the production version. We’ll look into it - maybe we can have some sort of a hack.

Yes, that’s what the bottom row of profile icons are. These will be customizable on app and possibly directly in the remote too. These will have same config options as in the mobile VESC Tool profiles.

2 Likes

F*** me! That’s sick! Ok, we’ll definitely look into it. Do you know which VESC’s ship with internal IMU?

2 Likes

You can do what the Trampa Wand does and jsut use the Nunchuck’s app implementation of cruise control.

1 Like

From the top of my Head: Unity , Stormcore, VESC 6

3 Likes

Ah! In that case, consider it basically done.

(to be fair, that’s what probably @eriknorth already had in the mind to use, as he’s the one doing the firmware development and me being the guy “hey, I think we need this feature, but I am not sure how to do it in practice, so I don’t know how much it will take to develop”)

1 Like

Sick! Just got my Focbox yesterday, so we’ll definitely check it out and see when can we implement that. It’s basically a must have feature now considering our logo… :rofl:

1 Like

Trampa’s vesc’s do. Most v6 implementations should have it unless they cheaped out :stuck_out_tongue:

I mean even the cheap Focer’s got em Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

And those are around 35usd a piece :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Send one to the SF Bay Area for signal/dropout testing. That’s the true test ground :wink:

3 Likes

Does anyone care about the wireless charging? :thinking:

1 Like

its always better to have it included, and user can have a choice of using it or not, just like in a phone. but only if it doesn’t cost too much for that, and Qi compatible

just my 2c

3 Likes

@practicalmike Maybe have a look at the photon remote. It has failed but had great things implemented like light control
Deadman button had 3 options that could also be switched between a press and hold or toggle press:
Cruise control
Deadman
Reverse

1 Like

I heard black market leavers are about 500usd ya know ? So you need just a 1/3 off a leaver to buy one

1 Like

(Fair enough, need to double check my spelling)
If you class you’re contreband organs by alphabetical order, they seat exactly half way between them

I live next to voice of America tower and it fucks with my cars fm radio when I drive past. I wonder what would happen if I skated by :thinking:

2 Likes