Wheel comparison thread!

If you use the calc you should know that a different gear ration doesn’t effect the range. The wheel duro, shape and weight does.

It would make no sense since. the acceleration and top speed can be manipulate by different pulleys.

General speaking I can say that each point in duro would increase the range of a same shaped wheel by ~3% i.g. 100mm 74A wheel with 30km range would have in a 84A version about 40km range.

Each mm of a wider CP should have about ~1% less range. At least if comparing 40mm-80mm wide wheels.

What’s interesting about this is, that the Foamies have just about 22mm CP and the TeamGee rubber tires have also a similar CP but the consumption is highest because of the tread probably.

The increase in wight seems to have also a quite large impact on the range. Out of the top of my head I would say like 1% per 10g.
I.g. 500g wheel with 30km range would have at 300g about 36km range. Ofc this gets even worse if you brake and accelerate often.

A not too bad example is here The 110mm TB compared to the 90mm TeamGee. The TB is 9A softer and has a 9mm wider CP, but it weights 280g more, which is almost twice the TeamGee. The range is also almost half.

Let’s assume you get out of the TB 110mm 74A wheels 30km range.
Compared to the TeamGee it has -9mm CP, which is +9% range, -280g weight, which translates to +28% range and +9A duro, which would add another +27%. This results to 64% of more range or 50km range in total for the TG compared to the TB. I rated the range for TG 8 and TB 4 which should be double the range. I carve and accelerate more than the avg rider so the difference is for my riding style larger.

Keep in mind this is just a rough calculation based on mostly subjective experience. I didn’t use specific tracks and logs to assure accuracy. But I thing that’s a nice guideline if you want to estimate the range of a new wheel, before buying it.

Also in theory should have a larger wheel less rolling resistance and higher range than smaller wheels, but in RL it shows to be vise versa. It might have to do with the increasing wight. That’s why we are working on a new approach of wheel style.

6 Likes

Yes I know that. Just keeping the ratio the same for braking and acceleration…

Was trying to ask how much % range reduction via pulley adjustment instead of just take little wheel off and put in big wheel on and then say 29% range reduction…

Again, you don’t get a different range by switching the pulley or the wheel size

2 Likes

so what pulley would you say I should get for the foamies to mitigate the 29% I lost, or is there no hope?..also what would this mean in terms of torque as I got more torque with the 107mm vs the foamies (same pulley). I thought of changing pulley sizes just to get the torque up as there is a hill I need to get up in my route.

1 Like

Sell them foamies!l looks like you’re after some tb110s

3 Likes

You can’t mitigate the loss in range, since it’s caused by the wheel not by the gearing. You can use the ESK8 calc and set it to the speed you want. There is no magic involved behind.

2 Likes

you are useless to me! I thought you had some magic damn it!

I guess I’ll just live with the range/battery lost with the larger wheels. I do need to increase wheel pulley though, need to get the torque back for my weight

3 Likes

It depends on you motor KV and motor pulley but generally speaking 40T is a nice option for the Foamies.

1 Like

I sold my last build with the 170kv and kept the 190kv on my current board…should’ve swapped it first. :pensive:

1 Like

190kv has more torque geared for the same speed. Larger wheel pulley you get more torque, to get same torque on a smaller pulley you you use more energy. Hence more gearing better efficiency especially under load. Range wont drastically improve if you’re just cruising

1 Like

I’d like to see what happens if you go up to like a 44t wheel pulley, or whatever gives you the largest gear ratio without sacrificing the same top speed, and see if that gets some range back.

1 Like

for those using 32T Evolves …note… they are 33T !! :wink:

So, if you drive a 100mm wheel with a 40t wheel pulley and drive a 200mm wheel with that same 40t pulley, you’ll see the same range? I find that very hard to believe as all of the electronics are going to be working a lot harder and getting a lot hotter with the 200mm wheel to overcome the gearing disadvantage. That extra heat has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is your battery in the form of wasted energy and therefore less range. If the gearing or wheel size difference is small, the range loss may be too small to notice, but at some point the difference will become noticeable.

1 Like

…if you increase kvs, like going beyond 200kv motors and up …220kv …245kvs

I’m just curious to see if gearing alone has a measurable impact on range to offset the larger Foamies.

1 Like

What an absolute load of old bollocks.

Seriously…

1 Like

Anyone?

4 Likes

Maybe the tests werent done with the same motors and pulleys… i also find it hard to believe. But i believe the weight and amount of torque required to pull them to momentum, is twice the amount of power required. Cruising should be fine though, they cruise probably 1.5x the rolling distance.

You counted them? I did with mine. 33T to be exact!