What's the best Vesc for my first board?

safety-wise should be the same, i see no reason why it would be more dangerous, sensor or HFI

some motor like HFI, some don’t, but that depends on the motor not vesc tool or esc

1 Like

HFI is safe and won’t break your hardware. Entering too large of a value for certain fields, notably “battery max” that defaults to 99A, is a key way to break hardware. Trampa VESCs and MakerX VESCs.

2 Likes

@frame, @b264 are any of you currently using HFI mode? what do you think of it and what ESC are you using?

also the HFI setup, does it require some manual tweeking or is the vesc tool now able to perform a “automatic” configuration?

I use HFI mode on all my VESCs. Mostly TB6 and FOCBOX 1.7 and Unity and VESC 6

It is most definitely NOT automatic and requires a lot of tinkering, and you get better at it after you do it once.

For tuning, check this video.

2 Likes

Thanks I was already re-watching that video :joy:

1 Like

Jeff (@Deodand) made a great video on this that I used to learn how to setup HFI

2 Likes

i only have one board using HFI, since one side sensor died, and its on a gofoc retro.

the video posted by @b264 is also what i watched and used for setting up HFI

2 Likes

Some motors work really well on HFI, and some don’t. Also some motors don’t work well once they get hot. But in general HFI is awesome. Occasionally it’s not.

would you know if HFI is always on, or just kicks-in from zero and at some speed falls back to say foc mode?

It’s on below a certain erpm which you can adjust, typically 2000erpm. Any time the motor is spinning faster than that, it’s automatically in unsensored mode.

1 Like

this is sweet, I will give HFI a try on the weekend. something to do while I wait for my pulled back to heal :joy:

thanks @frame for bringing it to my attention and @b264

2 Likes

HFI is working, DV6 is built on VESC6.

1 Like

That’s great news :heart_eyes:, I was a bit scared to try it!

1 Like

It’s just that the startup sound of HFI is a bit annoying. :expressionless:

2 Likes

I was thinking about that :joy:, but I imagine outside with other noises it won’t be noticeable much, as long as dogs don’t start chasing me!!!

1 Like

The commutation noise is what gets dogs upset, it doesn’t matter if HFI is on or not. You can’t hear the sound that pisses them off.

1 Like

No one runs pure sensored. You run hybrid and set the sensorless cutoff at like 5000 erpm, no problems. Vesc switches to sensorless mode after passing that point for full efficiency, so this isn’t really an argument against them

I love my sensors and will stand by them but I have had to repair a few sensor wires in my day. Really depends on how they are packaged if they will outlast the motor or not

It is confusing to setup to be honest tho

3 Likes

Definitely take two motors you won’t regret it at all! If you do take two I suggest you upgrade to 10s3p if you really stick with 10s2p a single motor is a bit better for range.

For vescs: this is pretty good

You can also find some second hand single focboxes around on the forum too they are still great especially for a setup like yours.

3 Likes

After the startup sound witch I like my board have never run better I’m glad one of my Sensors broke… I was into a 7 mile ride last week home after leaving my van in for a service it felt so good I took the long way home… Hfi all the way…

1 Like