What is your opinion on Meepo?

Doesn’t the V3 still use the unpopular liying esc?

1 Like

yes, but its an updated more powerful 30a ESC

1 Like

Yes, but it is night and day difference to the last iteration - genuinely surprised how much these boards have changed in circa 2 years.

Much smoother under acceleration.
Capable of higher amp supply.
Braking - much improved (but still a bit s**t!).

I wonder if they will phase them out entirely at some point, they’re using two versions of the hobbywing in other boards now, like the Classic and NLS Pro.

Either way, despite it’s improvements, it is still the first part of a V3 ER that I’d throw in the bin in favour of a dual vesc.

2 Likes

I’m still learning about a VESC and cost to benefit features.

1 Like

I’m sure people have given you the info you need but I’ll say it again for posterity. It’s hard to build a budget board that can offer what a Meepo can on smooth roads. They are actually great.

2 Likes

u need a vesc man trust me

Honestly this is the first I’ve heard that a prebuilt is a better option for the price on a DIY forum .

1 Like

Is a VESC the cheapest way to improve the overall experience on an ESK8 aside from better wheels?

1 Like

VESCs are awesome, but they’re not automatically the best option for every use case.

If you just want to ride and aren’t looking for max performance, the Meepo V3 3.0 ESC is definitely a viable choice. I’m using one right now in my DD board, and it’s giving me everything I need at the moment. Push to start, speed modes, potted to increase water resistance and looks pretty reliable.

3 Likes

Performance, yes. A VESC swapped in for an ESC will always offer more performance as long as the motors can handle the additional heat.

You can argue that the deck might be the biggest overall experience improvement depending on how bad the original deck is and how good the replacement turns out to be. The original Meepo deck was a fucking awful convex mess and swapping it out to even a decent deck made for a big improvement.

3 Likes

i believe he was talking about making a diy board. in that case 10 otta 10 times its better, for prebuilt like the meepo its a different story

1 Like

Well, he’s right because for the price of a Meepo V3, you can’t build a great DIY board.

1 Like

I mean… it’s a pretty common thing to read here. A $300 DIY is touch and go. A meepo just works.

1 Like

When do you start getting good DIY boards? $500ish

1 Like

That’s a question for people like @mmaner and more established builders who have mucked around in the low end. I am guilty of only ever building 3 overpriced boards :joy:

2 Likes

Lol that’s fair, I’ve got one I didn’t pay enough for and another that’s way overkill…I think I’ve got the 3rd one more reasonable but it’s also gonna be tiny and disappointing

Have you been talking to my wife again?

3 Likes

I would say around $600 for single motor and $750 for dual - this is coming from someone who tried going cheap before spending a decent amount to build a quality and reliable board. If you’re budget is significantly less then that I would say go meepo or a simular Chinese board.

2 Likes

I’ve talked to some of the ladies and they said it should suit me at least :sob:

Willing to take a look at my plans for my 3rd build and tell me whatcha think?

1 Like