What is your opinion on Meepo?

Sure send me a pm!

1 Like

Trying not to get too much off topic but in that case/price range the ownboard w2 seems to get a decent portion of the DIY experience aside from the vesc. You get most of the wheels options for both kegel and abec based wheels and gearing options due to it being a belt drive system.

Swapping out the deck on my meepo v2p to a loaded vangaurd completely changed the ride. I ride a boosted v2 now and for general cruising and riding I’d say the difference in experience doesn’t match the difference in price.

The right deck makes a huge difference for general riding.

2 Likes

At that point you would need to make the decision diy or pre built but I definitely think I could build a better board then the ownboard w2 belt for $700.

2 Likes

Yes, you could do it because you’re an experienced builder. But a first DIY often goes over budget because of lack of planning/know-how more than anything.

My default position for a first-time board is to buy a prebuilt, ride it enough to register a strong sense of like/dislike, use those preferences as the template for your DIY, then sell off or keep the prebuilt as a backup once your dream board is finished.

I see guys spend months locked in an indecision cycle that they could spend riding and planning.

7 Likes

I guess with a coupon it brings it down to $650 or less. You do get a decent amount of KIT at that price though. 83mm and 90mm wheels. abec and kegel pulleys. 15ish+mile range. 25mph+ top speed. “Flex” deck.

Honest question, how would you build something like that for $700 or less?

1 Like

I 100% agree and to a beginner with a strict $700 budget or that is not fully devoted to a diy i would prob recommended a decent pre built and once they get a feel for how they like esk8 I may or may not push a diy build

2 Likes

TBH the W2 drive train is a pretty good kit setup, but it will get it’s ass handed to it by a proper DIY in the same price bracket…a good high discharge vesc and beefy motors will make far more use of the 10s3p

2 Likes

the motors they use are only 5045 to not even 5055

Aww that’s cute, but the most power the ESC can push less than 1700W total so it doesn’t really matter much. In theory you can pull 2500W from the battery before it’s dangerous so I think dual 5065 would be good

I don’t have a single board that I consider ‘good’ that I have less than 1500 bucks in. A large portion of that is because I don’t like cast trucks, I like quality/elite decks.

2 Likes

All this talk of super cheap boards has me thinking about on builders when someone threw together the cheapest build possible to show beginners not to cheap out on parts.

Edit: I found the thread

1 Like

“board and boujee”

2 Likes

That’s what my son says. I usually hide his remote when he does. :grinning:

2 Likes

I think this is starting to derail this thread a bit and if you want answers to how a experienced builder could build a decent board for $700 then maybe start a new thread I personally don’t have enough time to put together a full build list for you but if you want to go diy and put a list together I’m sure people would be able to advise.

2 Likes

Understood.

The latest meepo’s are a solid option although you have to have realistic expectations of customer service availability for a company in a different country in a different time zone.

That being said, even though I’m slowly moving more and more into the DIY world, I still keep tabs on what Meepo is doing. That boosted mini clone, at least the deck, is pretty sweet.

2 Likes

This is a common misconception. With proper setup and enough incoming juice, 50XX dual setup is quite good. For reference, I’m currently reviewing the Exway Riot motor option. It’s a dual 5255 160kv set, and it’s far from slow. Faster off the line than the Hub set, in fact, which are pretty quick.

3 Likes

I agree i actually want to make a drivetrain using these flipsky motors for a small grab and go board I’m working on

But I awlready have 63mm mounts so 6355’s it is

2 Likes

a bit unrelated but anyone happen to know what happens (other than cogging at startup) when you unplug the sensors on these Chinese boards (hobby/liying esc based)?

Racestar 5065s and Ollin 5065s are both good motors, they aren’t very cool running but they def have a place. I would guess the FlipSky are in the same vein.

1 Like