Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

actually black colour dissipate heat faster

1 Like

But does that outweigh its light to heat conversion rate?

Wait does this mean black stuff actually does work better at night? Hell yeah.

So I looked it up, and apparently white reflects visible light the best, while silver reflects infrared best, which I think is what’s most relevant here. Also the easiest since I can just run some sandpaper on a spinning motor.

1 Like

it depends, since motor itself generate heat, the heat that motor absorb from light source and turn into heat is probably not compareable with the heat generated by the coils.

in idle or storage, sure white would be better, but for a spinning motor, i’d imagine black to be the best heat dissipate colour

1 Like

Along the same lines I don’t think heat dissipation would matter a whole lot on the can itself. It’s already exposed to airflow which will do far more, and it’s not even the part that heats up. If I can keep heat absorption from exterior sources down it should improve both as a whole, albeit possibly a miniscule amount.

1 Like

Bare metal is terrible at emitting infrared (heat), it has very low “emissivity”. Polished metal is the worst of all.

Anything on the metal (paint, anodizing, etc.) will actually help the metal cool itself better via radiative cooling…which isn’t a lot but it’s there.

If the paint or whatever is very thick then radiative cooling is still there but the convective cooling that happens when air moves over the metal is not as effective.

So, a thin coating is best…like anodizing or paint. This significantly raises the can’s emissivity.

But, as mentioned, not a lot of heat can even reach the can. It won’t hurt to help the bit of heat to escape but it won’t fundamentally cool the stator to paint the cans flat black.

5 Likes

DefiniteShorttermInvisiblerail-size_restricted
We are not worthy of the mooch<3

1 Like

See I was looking at this not from an emissivity direction, but rather absorption direction. Silver would absorb far less energy from the sun than a black one, which should keep the interior environment slightly cooler even though emissivity is impaired, because the primary form of cooling there would be airflow rather than straight up emission.

1 Like

You might have less IR absorption with a silver coating (aluminum is pretty good IR reflector too) but, as you mentioned, less IR emission because of the lower emissivity.

The convective cooling would be essentially the same either way so you’d have to run the numbers to see which coating method is best. But even if one method is a overall a better than the other IMO you’re only helping a little bit with a little bit of the total heat.

What’s important here too is the duty cycle for exposure to the sun. A high-emissivity coating works continuously to cool…in sun, shade, any weather. A silver coating only helps (if it is indeed the better overall option) when the sun is shining on the cans. If that’s not most or all of the time then the higher emissivity coating will be the better choice IMO.

1 Like

What would happen if someone bleached those clear blue tb wheels :thinking:

Would bleach alter the chemical structure of the urethane?

I’ve been wanting to bleach my tires but I feel like it’d compromise their integrity somehow.

Technically dyeing it already is a chemical change but that’s the question for sure.

I know you’re not supposed to bleach hardwood floors because if the polyurethane isn’t solid, it’ll get in to the wood and wreck it.

Science time.

Bleaching tires shouldn’t do much, I clean them with a bleach and water mix.

1 Like

A little research tells me you can “unyellow” your white or other light color wheels with a mix of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. Bleach is used to remove mold that’s penetrated porous rubber, but is known to discolor and possibly damage the rubber. Interesting.

Know what? Im willing to leave my shit tier grey boosted wheels in bleach water for science :eyes:

1 Like

Hydrogen peroxide is a bleach.

3 Likes

Mixing up some science juice. Dropping 2 wheels in for now and checking em every hour or so.

2 Likes

No visible change. Maybe slightly more translucent. Possibly softer, too. Gotta pull out the control group to test after I get some brew.

1 Like

Full day in 50/50 bleach water mixture and the damn things haven’t changed noticeably. Didn’t even weaken the white graphic on the side enough to scratch off with a fingernail, which I very much expected to be the result. They are quite clean, though. Maybe with a stronger mixture, but it seems at least this PU formula is unaffected by bleach.

Next up on my testing list: gonna throw flash airless on the front end, with Hoyt 5 inch pneumies in the back, and see if i like it. And mess around some more with curves n ramps in vesctool while I’m at it.

1 Like

A nightmare on elm street, but Freddy is voiced by Kristen schaal.

1 Like