Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

Welp that’s possibly it then, running mboards motors atm. Really wish I hadn’t done all my research on YouTube prior to buying parts. Eventually I’ll make a build thread where I’ll go over all the stuff that I went through when making my first build.

Sorry this kinda devolved into a noob question thread lol.

1 Like

ROFL

3 Likes

This has the same “not a skateboard just made of skateboard parts” energy as the fuckin esk8 train.

As for the gearing stuff above, i wonder how a 1:1 gear drive would behave compared to that 1:1 belt, or a 1:1 chain.

And finally, theory: one loooooong wheel on each end. like a freakin 75300 hub motor.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/nife_rider/

this has battery and esc all inside the wheel.

Thats too big. Think long caguama. Caguuuuuuuuaaaaaaaama. Thats cool, but closer to my “one big very round wheel on each end” idea.
The in wheel stuff is cool, but round it out. It makes more sense for a lean to steer device. It starts acting like a flattened motorcycle.

I was showing you how your idea was already being tested. Clearly you could just scale that design down.

This would give you little steering response. The super wide Caguma wheel means flat wheel, like a stack of cagumas. With trucks like seen on that Nife board and some kind of motor mounted somewhere.

if you want a wide rounded wheel it would want to be on a onewheel type design.

I mean it could work maybe but I think there would be issues.

1 Like

Yeah i badly articulated my split of ideas. Im more interested in the 2 big wheels, actually. 2 long wheels would be cool to try for science.
With 2 big wheels, id think rounded would work better, with steering heavily in the front. I may even prefer the back end to have a small range of free-drift, but very little if any lean control. It could be a cool drifty motorcycley build.
Two long flat soft wheels i also want to try, for science, but i think 2 on each end that move independently, with horizontal and vertical movement isolated, would be a better option.

1 Like

so basically you want a 3sk8 with the front truck also being wheels the whole way across.

Something of a novel idea maybe.

Just 2 big round wheels. The front turns with my lean, the back drifts against just a tiny bit. The roundness of the tires works in your favor, as the more you lean the closer each tires contact patch gets to the point of rotation. Ive had that one in my mind for a while. Just wear full gear, cuz it’d be ready to yeet you into oblivion at any moment.

I’m imagining an esk8 that resembles a steam roller

Good now make it make sense and youll end up where im at on that idea.

DH longboarders use 70-90mm contact patch wheels, though they’re only like 78mm. hella slide. maybe wrap them in tire?

THATS why rounded tires is the key to this weird idea. On 2 rounded tires, leaning increases rpm. It doesnt work with 4 tires, but it could be really fun.
Edit: no i got excited but youre on loooongwheel. Downhill is an ideal application, but i still think in any application 2 100x100 wheels would be better than one long one, honestly.

Build thread is here and on the cursed place, there is a link to there also

I should play with it again with 1:1, only problem is that as this board is now there is no easy way to do it, also the motors don’t have temp sensors and have high ish resistance compared to the TB ones, but I’m not complaining, paid $20 each

1 Like

I want to custom make some wheel hubs that double as turbines. I would then need the wheels / motors to turn 90° by hand.

Then, I can finally have an amphibious esk8

5 Likes

A bubble that rubs on the ground so I can esk8 in the rain

2 Likes

New type of direct drive. Motor mounted on the truck, yes, but further from wheel, with a pinion still. Special hubs with contained gears.

1 Like

See also, stary board and ecomobl.

The brakes on planetary gears are LOUD. Much louder than acceleration for some reason.

2 Likes

I think of that as a plus, people will hear me slowing down behind them when im skating to work

1 Like

My problem with them are that they’re designed for a much taller gear ratio (up to 100 typically) and use shitty hub motors to drive them. A higher kv motor on a higher voltage setup could make for a killer board though.

The ecomobl 2 AT I rode was pretty punchy but very flat through the rest of the acceleration.

4 Likes