Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

Time to start top mounting lol

1 Like

This is just an example of how sometimes I’m not as smart as I usually think I am :slight_smile: @Blasto’s solution is much simpler and elegant. There is still the 3rd ESC that has to be installed somewhere, which would be difficult on an Evo with a large pack. I’m probably going to do this on my Evo or my TopSPeed as I have some space to spare on each (neither has massive battery packs).

1 Like

Yeah, that would definitely take some lego ingenuity :).

I wonder if a single, heal side DD motor would do the trick or if both wheels under torque is the solution? A single motor with extended axle would likely be cheaper anyways. Also, do you think it would need to be an 80mm motor, would a 6355 or 6374 be enough since it will only be used intermittently?

I was gonna say , i would think even a 50xx motor would make the difference. Maybe just much lower kv?

1 Like

I think your right, I just have no experience adding this type of torque “relief” for lack of a better word, so I’m doing a lot of guessing here :slight_smile:.

I have some extra 50mm motors coming in and a few not so great 6274’s laying around. I’ll figure out which one will be easier to extend the shaft in and go from there.

I’m curious, would you mind looking at my settings before I go try this in RL? I’d rather have a second set of eyes on it before I go risk life and limb :slight_smile:.

1 Like

why not 2 (more @hummieee ) motors? it is more efficient to split the same total battery amps between 4 motors than 3 or 2.

1 Like

The only reason for adding the 3rd motor is for additional torque going uphill, to make the ride quality more like what we experience on flats. By increasing the deadband, the 3rd motor only ‘kicks in’ when your really into the throttle.

That, in addition to the cost of 2 motors and 2 motors mounts or another hummie set vs 1 motor and 1 motor mount. THis is all theory at this point, just wanting to see happens and if the ride quality is greatly affected.

you can’t achieve this by upping the motor current limit? want 50% more torque? use 50% more motor current.

That’s the thing, I don’t want to change the normal ride style/quality. I want to make hills feel the same as my current ride style/quality.

1 Like

I’m not certain on this but isn’t it possible with the new vesc firmware to change motor current limits more easily while you’re out on a ride?

i have a boosted board and you just push a button on the remote to change the current limits.

you mean speed modes?

how are they different?

never said they were.

And a lot of DIY remotes don’t have that and if they do i think they want it so there isn’t a need to press a button to get more torque or more speed.

1 Like

it’s probably more practical and inexpensive to add a button to a remote than adding the cost, weight and effort of adding an entire 3rd drivetrain.

2 Likes

but who wants to press a button when they’re riding. they want to be in the moment + they don’t want the ride quality to be different, therefore they don’t want different speed modes.

at least, that’s what i’m hearing

2 Likes

That’s what I’m saying. I’m not declaring this is some godly solution, just that it might be good so I wanna try it out.

3 Likes

the 3rd motor adds mechanical resistance unless you use it whenever you use the other motors, and it has a different no load speed than the other motors, which is potentially damaging, unless you carefully choose a gear ratio to match the other motors’ no load ground speed.

1 Like

You need a better throttle control solution then.

Set your board to it’s maximum amp settings and with a proper throttle setup you’ll have as much or as little power as you need.

IMO build a board powerful enough for whatever terrain you need to tackle, and ensure you have a proper control solution in place. Easy peasy.

8 Likes

that truly depends what drivetrain you use. You can use gear drives/hubs and the resistance will be very low.

1 Like