Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

Just 2 big round wheels. The front turns with my lean, the back drifts against just a tiny bit. The roundness of the tires works in your favor, as the more you lean the closer each tires contact patch gets to the point of rotation. Ive had that one in my mind for a while. Just wear full gear, cuz it’d be ready to yeet you into oblivion at any moment.

I’m imagining an esk8 that resembles a steam roller

Good now make it make sense and youll end up where im at on that idea.

DH longboarders use 70-90mm contact patch wheels, though they’re only like 78mm. hella slide. maybe wrap them in tire?

THATS why rounded tires is the key to this weird idea. On 2 rounded tires, leaning increases rpm. It doesnt work with 4 tires, but it could be really fun.
Edit: no i got excited but youre on loooongwheel. Downhill is an ideal application, but i still think in any application 2 100x100 wheels would be better than one long one, honestly.

Build thread is here and on the cursed place, there is a link to there also

I should play with it again with 1:1, only problem is that as this board is now there is no easy way to do it, also the motors don’t have temp sensors and have high ish resistance compared to the TB ones, but I’m not complaining, paid $20 each

1 Like

I want to custom make some wheel hubs that double as turbines. I would then need the wheels / motors to turn 90° by hand.

Then, I can finally have an amphibious esk8

5 Likes

A bubble that rubs on the ground so I can esk8 in the rain

2 Likes

New type of direct drive. Motor mounted on the truck, yes, but further from wheel, with a pinion still. Special hubs with contained gears.

1 Like

See also, stary board and ecomobl.

The brakes on planetary gears are LOUD. Much louder than acceleration for some reason.

2 Likes

I think of that as a plus, people will hear me slowing down behind them when im skating to work

1 Like

My problem with them are that they’re designed for a much taller gear ratio (up to 100 typically) and use shitty hub motors to drive them. A higher kv motor on a higher voltage setup could make for a killer board though.

The ecomobl 2 AT I rode was pretty punchy but very flat through the rest of the acceleration.

4 Likes

I was thinking big boi motors like these tbdd’s got, but higher kv, and with gears inside the tire hubs. Alternatively, one could perhaps design a planetary drive with 10 planet gears that could fit kegel cores, but that would be ridiculously small and complicated.

1 Like

I got my brother-in-law into eskates and we have been building crazy stuff since then. His latest idea is a fully customizable modular mountainboard mould, that can be configured with tip angles from 10 to 50 degrees, length from 70 to 100cm and variable camber from 10 to 90 (!!!) mm. We tested it yesterday with a pretty radical config:

7 Likes

I love the lab coat :rofl:

The mold is pretty epic too!

5 Likes

Yeah, trying to not get epoxy all over EVERYTHING is tough xD

Inside the mould there’s an actual prototype deck, half carbon half maple. I really tried to convince him that camber is absolutely massive, but he wouldn’t listen. I’ll keep you guys updated :joy:

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: street cred +100

3 Likes

Remember this? The first attempt was a total failure, but after reconfiguring it in a non-insane setting and modifying the procedure…check this out:

11 Likes

Nice, now to cut out the shape and give it some nice trim.

2 Likes

Healthy amount of clamps on there, looks like it’s going to turn out pretty good!

3 Likes