Waterproofing enclosure

How do you guys waterproof your battery/esc enclosures? I’ve been thinking of just using silicone caulking when I screw it down.

2 Likes

There is a thread for this, look for it :stuck_out_tongue:

You wake @b264 now.

6 Likes

Oops I’m really shit at looking for threads

1 Like

No problem, love the profile picture u have!

2 Likes

Lmao thanks

2 Likes

Get some wire gromets and some butyl rubber gaskets bro

I tried butyl tape for the first time and recommend it, even though I only have a week of experience, it seems really good so far. I think @rosco suggested it

2 Likes

I usually cut mine into a thinner strips. Like 5-6mm otherwise it is a pain to get the enclosure of and you might have it squashed outside the enclosure/deck gap. I use wedges to pry it open. I am however having 20 screws for my enclosure, so I’m squashing the goop pretty hard.
It also takes the load off the screws pretty well.

1 Like

I also cut it into thinner strips and getting the enclosure off again was a pain in the butt hole.

I just used a dull pocket knife to lightly slice off all the extra that squished out, but you have to wait an hour or so — otherwise more will keep squishing out after you’ve trimmed it all off.

I like how it even seals around the threads of the screws and everywhere.

2 Likes

If it is thin/narrow enough you should not have to. And I keep it a good 10mm or so from the edge of the enclosure. And have it running on the inside of the screw holes. I use multiple wedges. Plus a knife or scissor to cut off the strands when I start separating the enclosure form the deck.

1 Like

I put one bead inside the bolts and another outside the bolts. Maybe that’s why :rofl:

1 Like

So I’ve prited this riser with integrated power button from diebie… Now I am left with exposed wiring underneath… Any ideas how to dust / water proof this.

It doesn’t need to be sealed I am not riding during rain, but some protection would be nice…

@b264 could you chime in

1 Like

I don’t know how much I would trust a 3D printed riser, but if you’re sure of your additive manufacturing skills, then I might just epoxy where the wires come out of the switch. But it depends, it’s hard for me to see in there and using epoxy is NOT foolproof, you can’t get it anywhere it doesn’t belong, and keeping it from running all over the place while it cures is an art

3 Likes

Even if you don’t have rain ride plans, consider squirting some dielectric grease into the button itself, since it’s facing up, water doesn’t have a low point to flow back out if any does get in.

2 Likes

Would a wd40 do?

WD40 doesn’t last very long.

Can butyl tape also be used to attach the battery to the deck (currently using 3m velcro)?

No, definitely not. It’s not an adhesive though it sure acts like it. It’s a sealant.

2 Likes

@b264 I just used some sugru, see Clandestino I | Landyachtz Evo 40 (Hydro dipped) | Helical Gear Drive | Kahua Trucks | MK IV VESCs - what do you think of that?

1 Like

I use black foam window and door seal from lowes. Black rtv where the seams meet. Zero issues