VOYAGER | Nyan Cat Flux Build | 16s + lots of amps

Canon works much better than a barrel on those trucks; eliminates the little bit of play you get with normal .975" bushings.

You can have a much looser setup with the hanger nicely constrained still.

I run all cannons in APS formula on mine with split duro (35/25 angles).

1 Like

Yeah i ended up going krank in the back, aps in the front. 84a krank fatcones boardside and 87a cones in the rear, and 80a fatcones boardside and 85a cones in the front.

5 Likes

@RipTideSports RN
giphy

3 Likes

Actually wasnt too bad, think it was like 40 or something for all of em. Going to test them out in about an hour.

1 Like

Alrighty, bit of an update here. The new bushings feel fucking amazing and totally changed how the board feels. I can carve and turn just as hard as i can on my dkps, (even a bit more) and can still hit 30 with no issues. I might tighten up the back truck a tad just so that high speed carving feels better, but other than that the board feels great. All of this is coming as a bit of a surprise because I’m super light at 120 lbs, and running these trucks at the stock 30/30, but I’ll take this win for sure. The led strip and buck converter were also just delivered, so Ill install that tomorrow since I have a day off. Since the enclosure is coming off anyways Ill take the time to put in a better gasket and some silicone for waterproofing, as well as go back and loctite everything.

5 Likes

After that I think all this thing needs are some 1 inch risers or something to give it more clearance. Excited to come out to carvePDX this year as well, if my plans don’t change that is.

2 Likes

Puck is holding up pretty well so far

6 Likes

So 200 miles total on the odometer and we have a bit of cosmetic damage.

It’s to be expected though I guess. I think at some point I will try to repaint the enclosure with something more durable, if any of you have ideas I would love to hear em. Otherwise this board has been great though, no major mechanical issues or failures, but I guess time will tell if it stays that way.
I also have a buck converter and a set of lights in, but I haven’t figured out a way to fit the buck converter inside my already tight enclosure. I may need to just get a battery box mounted outside and run the lights off that- or find a smaller buck converter. I already struggled to find the correct voltage and amperage for my use case though, so I don’t know if that would be an option.

There may be space on top of the BMS but it would be a reaaally tight sqeeze. I may try to file or cut the heatsink on the buck to a smaller footprint.

I want the lights to run along the outside edge of the deck(where it is painted pink currently) it’s all diffused and addressable so I think it would look sick at night time. It’s just a headache actually getting it on there and working. I’m also worried about killing the leds if an edge of the deck hits a curb or something, so I don’t know how I would go about protecting them. Maybe a few coats of epoxy over the top of them?

2 Likes

I think it’s been mentioned here before but I wonder if you could find pink truck bedliner. It’s what I use on the bottom of my enclosures, works super well and you can just add another coat if it gets too beat up.

Also, you could ask @poastoast for some of these GD covers (or the file if you can print), maybe you can get them in pink too :joy:

Also add all the risers you can manage, the ride feel won’t change noticeably but you’ll gain clearance

1 Like

Yeah I’m going to get some half inch(or maybe even 1 inch) risers printed up, just been procrastinating on it. Those gear drive covers look interesting though, Do you find that they need to be replaced often or are they durable enough? I’d assume it depends on what material you print em out of.

1 Like

I’ve never ground all the way through them before, usually I swap em out before that just for cosmetic reasons. They last quite a while, not sure the material of mine though.

1 Like

Getting caught up on your build, so clean. So you need a 70v to 12v buck? that thing you’ve got is a monster. What amperage are you looking for? Just to push 2m of 144rgb and a headlight?

1 Like

Yeah its the only one i could find matching my needs that woukd get delivered in a decent amount of time. I think i may just cut it down because it shouldnt get that hot with the power my lights need.

You could get away with cutting it way down probably. 3a of lights is a lot and mine is fully potted and seems to hold up well

3 Likes

Yeah my light strip is a 3a syrip so I think it will be fine. For headlights I’m planning on using @ShutterShock Lights, which won’t need to be run through the buck because they can handle the voltage as is.

1 Like

The lights that havenever got for beta testing look sharp as hell. I have some 5v lights that im going to convert to 12v with new drivers eventually but im double bucking rn lol (12s to 12v then 12v to 5v). Kinda wish ShutterShock had released the lights before I committed but now im learning how to push 4pin leds so meh. Kinda silly how hard it is to find 12v lights without a button or battery.

I might copy the shroud he put on them, rn i just have some foil tape as a brim looking thing to keep from blinding folks as I approach. :rofl:

1 Like

Haha woopsie! They’re coming out officially very soon. Just finalizing the mount designs for all of the trucks I’ll be supporting. Should be a couple weeks out at most.

The shroud you speak of is more of an extended heat sink / lens protector, it doesn’t impeded the light beam. The light beam is managed entirely by the lens. In the first days of alpha testing my mounts I had a set come off and the shroud protected the lenses from damage

3 Likes

My plan is to make something similar to what you have but extend it forward, the led output on the light im using is too bright on full without something to protect the traffic coming against me without aiming them to low to be effective at lighting the path ahead of me. My sweet spot is about 150’ as anyone far enough that it is shining up at isn’t blinded but if they get closer the masking effect blocks the light for them.

3 Likes

Oh smart, I bet you could 3d print something like that pretty easily too. Do you find that the reflective metal helps with redirecting the beam or would something matte also work?