VOYAGER | Nyan Cat Flux Build | 16s + lots of amps

I’ve been avoiding 3d printing for no rational reason so I’ll probably cut something out of sheet metal and paint it.

I don’t know if it would make much difference if it was matte or glossy, i feel like matte would look better? It would probably make a better beam pattern if I swapped the reflector out with an orange peal instead of smooth mirror and masked the lenses directly but I haven’t gotten that far yet, keep running into ubox issues and rolling back from finishing it off to designing the circuits.

Have you seen this little guy?

Small enough that you could use two or three of them and still have more leftover room then the one in your pic and the voltage is right?

3 Likes

Oh shit that thing is tiny, i think that would fit. Only thing is shipping is 25 dollars :cry:

1 Like

I found this out the hard way too! Turns out that if you’re using silk (and maybe other stuff too, idk) that the white or non pigmented parts will completely disappear, the transparency of the fibers will blend with the epoxy and any coloring the fabric itself was giving to the graphic will vanish (as it was an illusion anyway). Whatever it is on will then influence the colors of the fabric. For me it all turned shades of red because it was a red deck. On yours I can clearly see the darkening from the black on the deck as well as the white flux logo.

I may have done it the hard way again but I found just laying the fabric down how I wanted it then putting a glob of epoxy in the center and gently working it outwards with a spreader worked great and kept the distortion down. The stuff I was using had a decently long working time though.

This board turned out fire af. Congrats on an amazing build bro!

4 Likes

Haha yeah that’s the exact type of fabric I was using. Lesson learned :rofl: I think for the next one I’ll go with what everyone is saying and use white epoxy instead of paint also, I think that’s the more durable method. Thank you though, enjoying the board a ton so far!

1 Like

Slow cure is a must, especially when learning.
It can get painful waiting for tack, but better than cussing up a storm as it flashes on you.

2 Likes

That is one thing I’m glad I did, the slow cure helped a ton when I had to touch up a couple spots like an hour after putting down the epoxy.

2 Likes

for me it made getting the bubbles out and laying that perfect fabric thick layer a lot easier for sure.

@poastoast :heart:

12 Likes

She’s all sealed up and ready for voyage(hah, get it?) on the seven seas. Going to drop the box off tomorrow!

5 Likes

Glass frit hurts my ground grippers

7 Likes

Put some lights on

Need to order a longer strip though, doesnt go quite all the way around the deck. Next project is putting new kendas on for carvepdx :grin:

12 Likes

This goes rock hard, dog

2 Likes

Niiice, how’re you powering it?

1 Like

4 AA’s :skull: I mayy have already broken it riding mt tabor. It’s okay, ordering a longer strip this time and gonna 3d print something to hold the battery box in place.

1 Like

Lol that’s my bad

1 Like

No dude not at all, offroading is fun :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Lights take two

5 Likes

My last puck case was starting to see some wear and tear for all the crashing I’ve been doing recently, so I decided to print another one. I wanted this one to be shiny with fancy paint and stuff, so I tried out a technique I found online recently to smooth out the print. I covered the whole case with about 2-3 coats of CA glue, letting it dry in between coats.

Then I could get to the fun part! Sanding…
I started at about 100 grit, and brought it up to about 600 grit.

After washing off the PLA and CA dust, I painted it with this metallic blue spray paint I found at my local BiMart.

I think I’m going to go thicker with the CA glue next time because there are still several spots where you can see layer lines through the paint.

4 Likes

Sanding down dry CA glue? I hope you were doing this with a gasmask on geeze

1 Like

Yup, thats what I did with mine. Though I use a programable light strip. For regular use it will be fine, but I busted mine up by repeatedly hitting the bottom of my deck when hopping curbs, which is were I mounted my light.