VESC WAND REMOTE soon to arrive from the future

That’s what I’m curious about. I’m wondering if it’s only the features, or some of the features, that don’t work. If you don’t mind and have the time, give it a try and let us know.

1 Like

Yes, I wanted to get it to work w ackmaniac but I will not.

Nrf pairing is different on anything below 3.48. I even tried to cheat using app.xml. no Bueno

Paired wand using higher FW. Saved app xml
Reflash ack then load app.xml from the above.

No. Go. Been trying to get it paired on ack for a few days now. I even tried to see if I could learn to merge newer nrf to ack. Very green

2 Likes

I appreciate you giving it a shot. That’s information we can use.

1 Like

Doesn’t work. It needs recent VESC FW.
Also note that ESCs based on VESC 6.5 schematics want the official VESC FW.
They do run on older FW, but it’s not ideal.

1 Like

Small update. Found fw 3.58. doesn’t work either.

1 Like

Here you go

2 Likes

Thank you for the info.

Well I relocated my Trampa NRF dongle outside of the enclosure just behind the front truck. I took the board for a ride and had no connection issues, the wand worked well. I do need to make some adjustments to my settings as it seemed to take a lot more travel to get braking to start vs. the travel on the acceleration side of the remote. I will continue testing but there results are promising :+1:

8 Likes

Glad to hear you got it working! And sounds like the enclosure was definitely playing a role there.

I’m curious why it’s not been an issue for me on other receivers with the same enclosure. RF and CF can be tricky of course.

1 Like

I just did a 3-5mile ride. No disconnects! I moved it more forward but still in enclosure. So it is a little over the halfway point of the board. No issues!

I did a “range” test before I went out. When it disconnects, there is still that “throttle runaway” before it stops.

Range test consisted of checking signal while on cruise control every few feet and turning away from the board so my body blocks it.

1 Like

It depends on signal strength. If your remote is designed to work on 400m distance, you might get away with 70% signal blocking if you are very close to the receiver.

1 Like

In case i want to use my wand for a quad with two dongles as the front vescs are not connected via can to the back vescs, would that work and if yes, which data the wand would display than?

All MCU programmers do firmware verify after uploading firmware especially stlink…

3 Likes

I haven’t had time to try out my wand until this weekend and I have serious issues with it. Used the vesc tool v1.18 first and updated the BLE dongle and vesc’s with no problem. Pairing was smooth but everything after that was anything but smooth.

• when accelerating slowly it goes to full throttle immediately.
  • When braking slowly it goes to full throttle reverse
  • When pressing slightly on the throttle wheel on the wand (like the click function on a mouse wheel) it goes to full throttle immediately.

I updated both the vesc tool to v1.19 and updated the BLE dongle and vesc’s. Same behavior as with previous version.

I’m putting the wand on the shelf for now. @Trampa how are you following up on the issues that are reported and is there a collection of known bugs so we know how things are going? Would be great if all bugs was reported on each project on GitHub.

1 Like

@M77 did that happen only on the bench or with load?
I was speaking with a guy living in my city yesterday. He ordered the trigger wand version and he has similar issues. He said that the throttle control is far from predictable. Something when he just push a bit the board accelerate with full throttle. He also told that that doesn’t happen always and he thinks it’s due to some signal issues. He has a trampa prebuilt board with the battery on the back. He changed the location of the dongle, but that didn’t help either. Unfortunately his English is not the best but I asked him to report his issues to @Trampa so that they can find out from where those issues come and in case that’s a general problem that the necessary improvements can be made for all of us.

1 Like

Bench test or standing on the board?
Use a profile with 10km/h and 20% power if you test a new setup. Get on the board in a safe spot and try. Also have a look at the bar, showing your input signal. When moving the trigger slowly, does the slider move accordingly?

On the Bench the wheels will always spin up fast, since a small current will already be powerful enough to get your wheels to speed.

Both out and on bench. When I use my other nrf remote I can spin up the wheels slowly and controlled even on the bench, they spin up easier of course.

The slider move with the motion of the trigger but it can be jumpy. With the “middle click” it jumps straight to full. When braking it can sometimes jump around and then show full forward throttle.

I haven’t had any problems with the reception.

1 Like

Send us a mail, we will ship you a new Wand and examine yours.

1 Like

Will do. Thanks. Hope to be using it soon, looks and feels great otherwise :+1:

Could anyone post the v1.18 app apk? Cant change current settings due to new apk (meant for v 1.19)