VESC WAND REMOTE soon to arrive from the future

Video here illustrating RF blocking by woven CF, apparently CF filled PLA is even worse.

1 Like

I have no doubts CF blocks RF well, however that link is also in context to wireless video transmission, which requires significantly more bandwidth. I have personally experienced this with drone fpv.

In my personal experience testing 2.4ghz radios, the LaCroix Prototipo & Kaly XL deck/enclosures, despite both having CF construction in the deck, don’t have a noticeable impact.

I’ll do some more testing, curious!

1 Like

My interest in this is selfish, as my printed Tx case is made from CF filled PLA.

FWIW what’s the most effective material for blocking RF in the 2.4GHz range?

1 Like

Copper?

Sorry if you felt my reply was defensive, I didnt mean it to be mate! I have no reason to defend anything. The only thing for me is I have tested my one and can say how it is for me and my testing shows me at least that there isnt a problem with connection.

2 Likes

I got a code freeze too. I had stopped to chat to a neighbour. After another 7 minutes I got on the board and started rolling down the hill, only to realise that the Wand had frozen. Had to remove the battery to get it going again.

Benjamin is digging into this issue already.
We hurry up to see what could be the cause of this.

7 Likes

No worries, the FW will get uploaded soon.
We have tested the Wand for a very long time and freezing was never a problem.
We will carefully check the Wand that was reported to freeze and will find out what happens.
Could be as simple as a corrupted FW (bad upload).

Benjamin Vedder is currently coding a feature that allows to download the FW from the Wand and compare it to the actual FW version. This way we can spot such issues.
Today he coded a new FW for the Wand, allowing joystick input signal redundancy. The new FW will take multiple samples of the input signal and can weed out bad signals (e.g. from a bad joystick).

1 Like

I just received the wand, first impression is really nice! I can imagine Frank you are proud with the result.

However please take the feedback seriously. Your product can’t be perfect from the start, everybody understands that. It can in the end, if you better listen, instead of jumping to conclusions.

4 Likes

Could it be rescued by some watchdogs ?

We always do. Benjamin already coded a new Firmware with redundant throttle input reading.
We analyse any potential issue and straighten it out ASAP. There is already tons of feedback incorporated in the Wand product and it continues to improve over time.

6 Likes

That is how you should have dealt with these things right at the first issue. I have no problem with you or your products Frank but sometimes defence is not the best option.
The wife loves the orrsom btw. fml

5 Likes

Saved it in the last minute :joy:

6 Likes

Got mine today but I run into a problem I don’t know how to solve.
My want doesn’t want to pair on my maytech vesc6.6. The lates fw 3.61 is installed, the dongle is updated and the uart port works with my metr modul without issues.
If I go to nrf and start pairing it just always get a time out. I changed rx/tx already but that doesn’t help. I did a quick test on one focbox and there pairing isn’t an issue, means the dongle and want work how they should.
Any ideas what it could be or how I can get this resolved?

Did you use a modified firmware before?

I run the official fw. I tried the default and the hw no limits. With no any of them it works.

Vesc vonnected via can?

Doesn’t matter. Doesn’t work with CAN and without. Tried both.

Remote is off first before pairing?
Rx to Tx
Tx to Rx

The above seemed simple but somehow we or I overlook it every now and then.

FYI to all:
I’ve noticed this remote won’t pair on anything below 3.48fw.

1 Like

The weird thing is it should still pair no matter the VESC, the connection is between the Wand and the NRF dongle. That’s whats weird about this