Vesc tool BLE setup metr pro

In my upcoming build I am using a metr pro module along with a dual fsesc 4.12. I was thinking of first setting it up in BLDC, but maybe further down the line switch to FOC. I know you can hook up the metr pro to the VESC tool using BLE and then do the motor setup there.

However how do I do it when I only have one module and two motors? Do I just forward the perimeters I got from the first setup on one motor to the other esc using CAN bus?

Would be nice if I could do it without opening up the enclosures using just the metr pro module.

1 Like

If you have can bus enabled you setup the master VESC, then enable can forwarding and setup the slave the VESC. It’s actually pretty simple.

1 Like

Do I enable it in the VESC tool or the metr app? Will it detect and calculate the parameters of the slave motor when I enable the can fwd?

You enable it in the ESC tool, it’s a tab in the lower right side. It did the same thing on the slave as it does in the master.

I see, thanks a lot :star_struck:

1 Like

no worries

Vesc-Tool does it automatically. Connect ESCs via CAN, update the Firmware via UPLOAD ALL. Run the wizards, job done. VESC Tool will detect both motors, will assign CAN Id’s etc.

https://vesc-project.com/node/178

2 Likes

Frank, the guys question was answered, all you’ve done is likely confuse the poor fellow. Must you always drop into threads and sell people your wares?

3 Likes

It’s not done like that any more. VESC Tool does automatically configure both ESCs in one hit.
CAN forward is not needed during standard setup.

Incorrect. It’s not done that way anymore with the new VESC Tool which should likely not be used by new users as the wizard detects strange and unusable values and is confusing with the non-standard motor pics and does not accurately describes current work reverse accurately.

With every other ESC Tool that is exactly how you do it.

This is what I mean by you acting like the VESC/Trampa lineup is all that exists. It’s confusing to users who use different hardware. In this example specifically the user started he’s using a FS ESC and Metr Pro.

1 Like

So you know more than the guy who coded the software.

ĂŤ am using the VESC tool 1.13 that supports BLE. So not the one that you get from the vesc project website.

Frank there are a lot of issues with the latest tool.

1 - Setup for FOC - it gives you BLDC on v4 HW without warning.
2 - Chose battery cells in the wizard as 10 cells, then if you go to the voltage tab in general its says 12S.
3 - The wizard makes up weird amp limits. I tell it I have a lithium ion pack containing 8 parallel cells (24Ah pack) and it sets max current at 99A per VESC. That’s 200A current draw on a pack that can only provide 160A maximum.

I’m not confident in the wizards anymore, you tried to make it noob proof but I believe it’s gone the other way personally.

3 Likes

Motor max is always limiting battery max. You can’t pull 200A if motor max is say 60A. On a twin that is max 120A. Override lets you set limits manually if needed.
You could also drop in 10000A battery max and it would have zero effect if your motor max is 60A.

Voltage limits are set by serial cell count. If you choose LiIon 12 cells, it sets voltage limits accordingly.

Sorry I didnt make myself clear enough with the number of cells. I chose 10 in the wizard, then in general it says 12S.

You can see it in this video

3 Likes

I will admit, I am very confused. I will try the way that is demonstrated on the vesc website and if it does not work properly, I will resort to the way that @mmaner suggested.

1 Like

Everytime, this is tiring. Just answer the question or ignore it. You challenging me is just silly.

4 Likes

i love this

totally agree with you @mmaner
personally, fuck the vesc tool. i like the bldc tool so much more. and the values that come up in vesc tool are bullshit like @Lee_Wright mentioned. I’m quite happy with my 70a total batt max, and my 190a total motor max.

2 Likes

So you are the one coding the VESC software? Can you please implement the feature that is discussed in this thread?

1 - Setup for FOC - it gives you BLDC on v4 HW without warning. BECAUSE THE 4.12 is not really a perfect FOC controller and BLDC is safer. You can switch that back to FOC if you dare. This feature protects weaker hardware from blowing up
2 - Chose battery cells in the wizard as 10 cells, then if you go to the voltage tab in general its says 12S.
You need to press read settings first to see what is actually written onto the VESC. That button is the upper M (read motor config). When you do the wizard and select 10 cells, it will adjust battery cutoff automatically.

3 - The wizard makes up weird amp limits. I tell it I have a lithium ion pack containing 8 parallel cells (24Ah pack) and it sets max current at 99A per VESC. That’s 200A current draw on a pack that can only provide 160A maximum.

I’m not confident in the wizards anymore, you tried to make it noob proof but I believe it’s gone the other way personally.

When you want lower battery values you can open the advanced tab.
Example: -20A for regen (Battery MIN) and 70A battery MAX
Really easy!