VESC-Tool 6 release

Probably does it without consideration for high power applications that would result in a rider getting hurt.

Just like it doesn’t consider 2 motor systems when thermal throttling.

1 Like

Sorry guys the App Store is a PITA to get approved, but I built the Mac app this morning. Really stoked on a lot of the new stuff in this version.

The vesc express in particular is so convenient and Ben just put up the repository for it today. Getting home with my board and having it instantly connect to Wi-Fi is a game changer. Equally as fast as usb it’s so nice.

I think vesc package manager is also going to be super convenient to decouple updates for specific applications from the core vesc firmware. Stoked for collaborating developers to have the freedom to iterate independently.

10 Likes

This is what I’m most excited for

3 Likes

waiting on spintend to have it’s own waccass vesc tool :crazy_face:

2 Likes

if i

sponsor you 2 escs will you keep ‘em?

5 Likes

@Trampa do you have any videos showing how silent HFI works on Trampa ESC’s?

Your marketing materials claim that sHFI works on your ESC’s, but nobody here has seen it in action yet on an actual esk8.

Would be really interesting (and probably good for sales) if you shared some stuff comparing sHFI to sensors.

3 Likes

can’t get good sales if the esc prosuct page is harder to navigate to than the coveted g spot

6 Likes

Maybe Benjamion Vedder could tell us

2 Likes

Thanks for taking one for the team, I was going to try it out on my 60d+ tomorrow.

4 Likes

that’d probably be a job for @Trampa to remake the website or hire someone

I have watched VESC silent HFI. Sensorless full torque at 0 speed. - YouTube numerous times and it shows that it’s possible but also is dependent on getting certain settings such as inductance correct. I just asked on the VESC Discord and will see if Vedder or anyone else replies with some tips.

When I tried again today I did get the behavior of one of the wheels going backwards on startup as @Shadowfax mentioned. Regarding the max abs current getting setting to a weird value, I always just manually set my limits to what I want after any running any kind of wizard. Despite not being able to get the sHFI working so far, at least back on Hall Sensors, everything seems to work perfect for me and I was really pushing my board hard today on a 50 km test ride. I suspect also that the old HFI and VSS, which I have tried on 5.3, would also be fine.

But yeah it would be great to get sHFI to work.

3 Likes

I should also mention that I checked in with Lacroix and they say they have not tried sHFI yet. But in theory the 60D+ has the phase shunts and phase filters for it work.

I’ve been running Beta 6.0 on my Focbox Unity for months now. Running 45 Deg V0V7 HFI (Silent) because one of my motors doesn’t have sensors and it is very smooth but not silent.
I just updated my app to the release version and it won’t read the current setup, I guess I might have to run motor detection and set it all up again.
I did have an issue when I first tried to run it on Beta 6.0, it bricked the Unity and I had to reflash it and contacted Benjamin and he fixed the issue with the firmware and it ran great since.

2 Likes

FTFY

@rpasichnyk could this mean the possibility of updating my metr FW through VESCtool? or be able to update vesc FW with the metr?

1 Like

ahhhhh shit

looks like my board might not take advantage of it given i had tk manually adjust mine :flushed:

although i havent had issues with the detected value but idk if i can trust that or Hoyt’s recommended value more

so far neither has made me eat shit tho soooooo

1 Like

I believe 60d+ has phase filters, not phase shunts.

1 Like

Does the 100dx also lack phase shunts?

1 Like

I’m on regular HFI again and it feels good on 6.0. No unexpected reverses :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My understanding is it has both. I just confirmed with Lacroix today. Specifically I asked about phase vs low-side shunts and they said:

Phase side, there is also filters on there as well.

2 Likes

I think it’s likely that they don’t know exactly.

In any case, sHFI modes and non silent v07 45 and coupled were all awful on a board that runs HFI flawlessly. I was super disappointed but my initial findings are that 60d+ just isn’t sHFI friendly.

1 Like