VESC-Tool 6 release

I gotta wait for the iOS app update.

2 Likes

My best advice would be to stick with 5.3

I had two perfectly functional boards this morning. Now theyā€™re both fucked.

8 Likes

Noted, will definitely leave my commuter alone

2 Likes

We know that sometimes a FW update via BLE can fail. The device should then fall back to the old FW. It might depend on the BLE module and the phone as well. Could also have to do with the layout of the controller PCB etc. Personally I had very little issues in the past but the 2-4 minute wait for the update was always a bit annoying. That is why Vedder wanted to create something faster and he came up with the idea to generate code for a Wifi solution.

Your issue could also have something to do with the CAN-Bus being overwhelmed. Depending on the devices you have attached, the CAN resistance is maybe too low. Each device lowers the resistance on the CAN bus and at some stage it can become unstable when big chunks of data are transferred.
De-soldering a resistor on one unit can help in that case. That unit should be a unit in the middle of the BUS string, not at the end. The total CAN resistance should not drop lower than about 50 to 60 Ohm. If each device has 220 Ohm, then 4 devices bring down the resistance to 55 Ohm (220/4). Iā€™m not sure what the termination resistance on third party devices is. I have seen 120 Ohm on some units and that brings down the resistance to 60Ohm with two devices already.

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna chalk this up to there is something wrong with my overall system.

But the board that i did manage to fully update to fw6 now doesnā€™t function properly at all.

Iā€™ve spent the best part of the day fucking around with this shit, and iā€™m pissed off so iā€™m not gonna comment any further.

7 Likes

When will the PC version read the settings of whichever device youā€™re connected to (CAN)?

The fact that you have to click ā€œread motor/app settingsā€ when switching between CAN devices on the PC but not on the Android app is silly.

Also, is thermal throttling fixed? The 5.3 implementation seems to be only taking single motor PEVs into consideration.

When thermal throttling occurs, it is done to each motor individually instead of synchronized. This induces a wobble that can be very dangerous. It is my opinion and many others that thermal throttling should be synchronized across both motors.

Have you guys thought about this?

4 Likes

i sue hope this is addressed :flushed:

i actually miight run into thermal throttling given iā€™m already hitting 40Ā°C motors in, 0Ā° weather

2 Likes

Strange, vesc tool does this for me since V3.00 I think. Havenā€™t had to do that in over a year.

Should probably make a github issue for this so that Vedder sees this. I would assume this issue has always been the case though, no?

7 Likes

Still way easier than updating a FlexiBMS lmao

2 Likes

This is really good.

5 Likes

IMHO, itā€™s very likely this wasnā€™t tested at all on any equipment aside from Trampa branded ESCs.

9 Likes

I donā€™t know why this made me laugh so much :laughing:

4 Likes

Mac and IOS users waiting for firmware 6

Let-me-in GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

7 Likes

Not sure Al thinks so :joy:

6 Likes

The Mac app has been updated

5 Likes

iā€™m gonna try and yeet fw6.0 in, maybe try sHFI

hereā€™s to eating shit :beers:

9 Likes

I tried sHFI again today on the new firmware and still couldnā€™t get it to work. I redetected my motors this time and at least that did allow things to actually work in at least one of the sHFI modes but it definitely wasnā€™t silent. Other than that, no issues with the new firmware so far and I just back from a 50 km ride.

4 Likes

@Trampa PSA - 60D+ NEW HFI MODES NO BUENO

I updated my stormcore 60d+ to 6.0 today and tested out the 4 new HFI modes. Iā€™m using TB6380 motors that work quite well on default original HFI settings.

The new HFI modes (v07 45deg / coupled / and both in silent) all worked, but had persistent issues sending the board backward when I was throttling forward around 10% of the time. Obviously unacceptable, and wildly dangerous.

sHFI modes are quieter than normal HFI but still makes noise on the 60D+.

Also worth noting, the 6.0 vesc tool introduced a new way to attempt to kill itā€™s users. Using the FOC wizard, I would always previously get an absolute maximum current of 200a. Firmware 6 set this at 111.73a . My understanding is that setting the absolute max too low will make you hard fault your ESC. If this is rightā€¦ not great. I upped it to 200, but it makes me concerned there are other default values that I should be worried about.

Overall, super disappointed with firmware 6. Would not recommend to a friend. Stay on 5.3 unless you maybe have an esc with phase shunts.

5 Likes

IIRC none of this is tested on a high-powered dual motor esk8 at high speeds, just on a bench with a propeller or something. Thatā€™s what weā€™re for.

I would love to be proven wrong.

7 Likes

Is there any downside to setting absolute max at 200a? I assume itā€™s a bad wizard value because after detection, when I noticed the 111a setting, I hit read default values and it plugged in 200a. If detection assigns 111a for good reason, Iā€™d love to know.

edit - I misinterpreted your point. I see you probably mean the wizard is optimized for setting things up for a propeller. Yeah makes sense, but the esk8 mode defaults were changed in this case. Maybe itā€™s just me and nobody else will have this issue.

1 Like