VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

@Trampa tried it with a different remote again to see if that could be the cause but nope. Unity, FW 5.02, duty cycle current limit start 0.85 = crackling. duty cycle current limit start 1 = no crackling.

This time i’ve tried it on my 6374s

I’m truly at a loss.

here another example. Spikes are when the issue appears.

4 Likes

Where are we at with FW 5.02 and the duty cycle current limit start issue? Still saying set it to 85%?

I’ve had it at 90% (89% really, vesc tool will always drop it from 90 to 89 for some reason) and get no full throttle weirdness on 5.01.

Is this supposed to be fixed in 5.03? I don’t see a dedicated thread for 5.03 feedback and want to know how it’s performing.

3 Likes

My bug report about duty cycle current limit start being equal to duty cycle current limit causing issues got seen by Vedder and he made a fix that is included in FW 5.3

After FW 5.3, duty cycle current limit start is now a percentage of the usable duty cycle (usually limited to 95% theoretical max), rather than the total. The default value is still 85%, so I recommend bumping that up to 90% unless you want a further speed decrease. (Because 90% * 0.95 is about 85%).

11 Likes

I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I have a 4wd board. I’m running 6354 up front and 6374 in the rear. 190kv.
Front
55amp Motor
40 Battery
2500 watts max
Rear
100amp Motor
80 Battery
5000 watts max

The front pulls about the same wh/mi as the rear. Shouldn’t it pull half the power with my settings? Previously I had the settings a little higher up front, but still lower than the rear and it pulled approximately 50% more power in the front than the rear leading to my cutout I’m guessing… Before this I had 4wd with all 6354, same settings and that pulled pretty much identical wh/mi in the front and rear.

Any help would be appreciated. Don’t want to get another cutout lol

1 Like

It will consume the same up to the limits.
If you’re pushing the throttle for 25A it will push 25A on all motors. If you push the throttle for 80A, it will push 55A on the front motors and 80A for the back ones. If you push for 100A, it will push 55A on front motors and 100A on back motors. This is the feat of current control input.

Also make sure your battery can handle 240A coming out of it (no idea what you’re working with, but quickly judging the situation i’d say you know what you’re doing on the building side).

Also, check the true kv of those motors. If one/a pair is lower kv and the rest still push, vesc won’t exactly like it and will cut acceleration until it slows down under the max duty cycle.

You can control each separate one from the start tab. I think it’s called control? Put it on 30-40% opacity, go to rt data, very carefully slide one page down to see the speed and with a completely full battery push like 7-8A through each motor. If they all show within 2-3km/hr speed, nothing to worry about. If they’re vastly different, dunno what to tell you… don’t shoot for top speed?

I was under the impression that all your escs just do the same settings as the master if you are connected by CAN.

The only way around it is to use split ppm.

1 Like

I think it was bad motor detection. I spun up the motors to check speed, all spun to around same speed. I noticed the rear were a lot slower to get up to speed. Ran detection again and spun up like normal now. I did detection with belts previously, I read that was okay. Didn’t help that my belts were way to tight… Did a quick run, board felt a lot better and front pulled half the amps.

@glyphiks I am running split ppm

1 Like

Whens the Mac Fork gonna happen :joy:

Just updated to 5.3 beta FW using a 60d+ and ran into several issues.

First test:

Restored 5.2 FW configuration on 5.3 FW. Noticed that at higher constant speeds, I would get random, split-second cogging noises. I tried with and without traction control and there was no difference.

Link to video showing motor cogging issue:

Second test:

Did a fresh setup (cleared settings, did not do a configuration restore) and manually copied all settings from previous config. The same cogging issue persisted in the same manor. I also noticed that when my input was set to current no reverse with brake, one of my motors would jitter when braking on the bench.

Link to video showing braking issue:

The only other (extremely) small issue I noticed was that the stormcore rgb button was not color changing in accordance with the battery voltage. A 50% battery still displayed green on the button.

Before I exited, I backed up the 5.3 configuration I was having issues with to test on personally known-good firmware. I then rolled firmware back to 5.2, restored the 5.3 configuration, and the stormcore light turned blue (correct for 50%), the motor no longer twitched while braking, and the motor cogging at speed was eliminated. I did immediately lose access to the second uart port however which was unfortunate but expected.

8 Likes

I’ve been running 5.3 on a 60d+ and xenith. Just went to program 2 new 60+ and 60d and 5.3 bricked them both.

Anyone else get this ?

1 Like

@jack.luis bricked a stormcore the other day on 5.3 I believe

1 Like

Well I’m 1 for 3 on flashing to 5.3 with 60d/+

Hello)
Why are the brakes stronger at high speed than at low speed if you apply the brake with the same amount of force?

What are your current battery min and battery regen set at?

Motor MAX 70A
Motor MIN -50A

Battery Max 65A
Battery Min -20A

Config 2xVESC 6, 2xSK8 149Kv, 12s 18000mAh battery

lower motor min to -60A and raise battery min to -15A

Make sure Fault Timeout is at 85ms

For most linear brakes, set Motor Min and Batt min to the same value (e.g. -40A). Batt Min is more relevant at higher speeds while Motor Min becomes more dominant at lower speeds.
In your case: At full speed you only get 20A of braking power, while at lower speeds braking goes up to around 30+A and close to stand still to around 50A.

Read more here: Optimum Vesc settings? - #41 by Trampa

2 Likes

But when braking, the current will charge the battery, the excess current will not damage the battery?

2 Likes

Your battery needs to be big enough to allow proper braking. Otherwise you make a big mistake and put the battery life over yours.

1 Like

I have 12s 18000mAh 18650 Samsung Q30

As I understand it, I can’t do less Batt min -20…

and i don’t understand if i have two VESCs, Bat min -20A should i bet on each VESC or should i halve on each Batt min -10A?

1 Like