VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

It’s the same on Stormcore FWIW so definitely not hardware related. I’ve experienced almost complete loss of brakes when thermal throttled.

1 Like

@Deodand any idea why the behaviour of HFI changes when I set only the Sensorless ERPM HFI lower? Surely it shouldn’t change how it behaves, just when it stops functioning?

e.g. With my Sensorless ERPM HFI set to 1000 it works perfectly on flat or slope, lower it to 750 and it starts with a bit of a jolt and trying to start on a slope has it freaking out, lower it to 500 and I’m stuck rocking in place going nowhere even on flat ground.

Also, I have to really crank up the Battery Current Max for it to work. On the Stormcores 60A isn’t enough, but on 100A HFI works well.

1 Like

I have been noticing a similar thing, one some single drive setups with large TB6380 motors, setting that erpm cutoff really low makes it work awesome. But on every dual drive I’ve tried, I can’t use anything below 2000erpm. It’s odd. Because even when only one motor is engaged, it doesn’t work right on a low setting.

I’m getting more confused by the day.

1 Like

I agree, but changing in that case would have saved my ass, ended up having to carry the board most of the time for 10 km, too steep to push

1 Like

Why? I really love this, saves a lot of trouble

It’s sure convenient, but the VESC software is not very user-friendly and it’d be too easy to make a mistake that ended in bad things happening.

Just my thoughts.

2 Likes

Wondering since I have dual 100S Stormcores, if I should rather run them as 2x singles with a PPM splitter, instead of CAN connected as I am currently.

It’ll stuff up my metr logs though.

Whatever you do, let us know how it goes.

The HFI has me all confused. Sometimes it works awesome, and sometimes it works like shit. I think I’m getting better at tuning it, but sometimes no amount of tuning seems to make it good. Other times, it seems to kick ass right out of the box and be awesome.

3 Likes

Would be nice if you somehow could disable one esc output via app in this case.
Let’s say your gear or belt on one side is fucked you just open the app and disable the output so that you can ride home with the working side without the defective side going nuts while accelerating or braking.

4 Likes

I’ve had two identical motors, with various ESCs, giving me wildly ranging values. One motor works perfectly, and the other operates like dogshit. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue. SK8 6364 for reference

2 Likes

Yes that would be ideal :ok_hand:

But even still, traction control should be disabled while braking.

5 Likes

CAN is the recommended path here.

3 Likes

@Deodand I updated my friends board to the newest firmware (5.1 i think)… on the first real pull he got launched, loss of power I believe (maytech esc, hes okay thankfully) I’m trying to rule out bad battery… So I’m wondering would a battery that can’t supply enough amps, would that throw out a fault because we didn’t get any faults at all. Or does vesc firmware have any sort of protection against that kind of instant power loss

I’ve also had this experience with HFI. To make things even weirder I’ve had it work flawlessly for 30km of riding then proceed to fuck itself up and consistently try to turn my toeside motor in reverse.

I really wanna love it, I love the sound but there’s definitely some work that needs to be done to make it flawless.

3 Likes

If the battery is discharging through a BMS, then the BMS can cut power like this and the VESC would not throw a fault.

2 Likes

If the battery cannot deliver enough power then one of 2 things can happen.

1. The battery will sag and the battery voltage will drop until the vesc begins to limit the power due to the low voltage protection limits. This will result in a gradual reduction in power but will continue to operate.
  2. The BMS will cut all power from the battery. In this case the VESC is shut down and there is nothing it can do.

It might help to describe his current setup. what battery is he using? what BMS is fitted? is it being used in discharge or bypass?

5 Likes

Thanks for this explanation. upon re-examining it seems like this is exactly whats happening.

i dont think this is clear or inline with the way other parameters on the vesc are configured. It would make much more sense to be able to configure the acceleration and regeneration start and end temps individually. We have different motor current settings for accel and regen, same for battery current, why not have the same for thermal throttle values. That way the user is able to set clear limits for both without having to do lots of math to work out the limits they are setting.

2 Likes

@fessyfoo made a handy calculator

2 Likes

thanks, that is a useful visualisation of a feature that is needlessly complicated.

5 Likes

The BMS is bypassed. One of the P groups was recently replaced. Prior to replacing that P group he experienced less power than normal going up hills. He says hes still having the same issue after. So my concern is the the battery could be compromised. I’ll ask him to check if they get out of balance… It’s a belt setup, dual 6374 with pnuematics. (100 motor, 80 bat) 12s8p 30q pack… The board did not turn off he just got a cutout with no faults