VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

That’s an excellent point! So because 1 motor was not making contact with ground, it would stop much faster when braking, and this caused the other wheels to lock up.

So even when braking, traction control seems to be slowing down the faster moving motors, which is the opposite of what you’d want anyway! The point of ABS in cars is to not let the wheels lock up; i.e., it should speed up the slower motors, not slow down the fast ones.

4 Likes

I had some really fucky behaviour today from my esc:

Riding in a park, i came to a complete stop, then tried to accelerate and the throttle was mirrored.
And by mirrored i mean pressing forward did the full power control but in reverse, and pressing reverse did the slow duty cycle thing from smart reverse, but forward (???).
Spilled my lovely fanta lemon and launched the board motors first into a tree :frowning:

I immediately restarted the remote and it did nothing, same problem. Then by the time i opened the vesc tool and connected it fixed itself. Wtf?

After all this i tried the actual reverse function on my vx1 remote and it only mirrors the control knob. Pressing forward starts slowly reversing and pressing reverse launches forward does full power.
How is this possible?
Running fw 5.1 on 4.2 hardware

3 Likes

Are you using HFI? I have also noticed strange things like this while fucking around with HFI settings.

6 Likes

Nope. Foc and hall sensors.
I was thinking interference from the 200 more people sharing the same alley, each with at least 1 bluetooth device normally. But it doesn’t explain launching full speed backwards

1 Like

Exactly. Even in a situation where all 4 motors are operational, this has fucked me up. Traction control should not be active while braking.

2 Likes

Maybe a stray cosmic ray from space hit your ESC in just the right spot to flip the bit that inverts motor direction :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Naive question: why did you not simply turn off traction control (if this caused the issue you are reporting)?

Turning off traction control resulted in the free spinning motor going full throttle. Not ideal.

1 Like

Riding with a free-spinning motor going full-speed isn’t the worst thing in the world.

It sounds funny but it’s not using very much power. I’ve rode home more than once with one motor free-spinning. The worst part is the noise it makes. If you get over that mental block, it’s really not doing much damage. Maybe spending a couple watt*hours but not too many.

6 Likes

Good to know. Will definitely keep it in mind for next time.

Even still, there are issues here that I feel should be addressed.

5 Likes

For me traction control is the only way to ride with one motor free spinning, if it’s off for some reason I have no power, the free spinning motor goes full speed while the other has no torque, I don’t remember if was the master or slave that broke the belt

With traction control it worked perfectly

2 Likes

The other motor (the one driving you) has full torque, but it doesn’t feel like it, because it’s half as much torque as you’re used to feeling with two motors. The free spinning motor makes a lot of noise, but does little else. It doesn’t rob torque from the other motor in any way. In fact, it barely even robs any range as well.

Assuming you are not using traction control or anything.

1 Like

Anyone running this daily on a unity yet?

1 Like

Yeah, it is functional. What do you want to know?

Yes I do! Already have something like 200km on it since Thursday :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome! I have one configured and bench tested but haven’t installed in a board yet. Just curious if you’ve had any hiccups?

So far no issues setting up PPM smart reverse with a VX1

I haven’t had issues so far only that my temp sensor from my motor isn’t working and it shows -99°C. Other then that its really smooth :smiley:

1 Like

I have issues with torque on startup. But I think that is either to do with HFI or my input.

I only use current mode so no experience with smart reverse.

1 Like

No no, I mean when this happened the board wouldn’t even move on the flat ground, I’ve run other times after that with traction control on and no belts on one motor

Now I’m remembering, it was the master, I I’ve posted the problem somewhere

But either way traction control solves it, or if not I think lowering the battery current to 0.5 A or 0 A on the master also made te slave motor works without traction control

Unfortunately when this happened I was riding pretty far without phone to change the settings

It’s my opinion that changing VESC settings on a phone while out for a ride is not a good idea.

5 Likes