VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

So just took out the madness build for a ride and this shitty torque on start up is really killing me.

I dunno if cogging shows up on the metr logsbut here it is anyway.

In reverse this thing will do wheelies, no problem. But forward, it really sucks for off the line torque and when trying to start on a slight hill today, it was cogging really badly. I am sure this is a software issue, if there is anything I can do to help you diagnose it @Deodand, please let me know.

Edit: madness build is 4wd unity running HFI on fw 5.1

3 Likes

My Sensorless ERPM HFI was fine on 1000, I just set it down to 500 and will test tomorrow, Iā€™m on dual Stormcore 100S.

1 Like

I did find a setup where lower setting were terrible, as did @glyphiks

But in general lowering that cutin erpm seems to really help

1 Like

@Trampa @Deodand

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a unity thing or a fw5 thing but Iā€™m become suspicious of thermal throttling not working as intended.

So I have the thermal throttle for both the unity and the motors set to start at 80 and end at 90. I checked this in both metr and the mobile vesc tool to verify its not a metr issue. But as soon at I hit 70 I can feel the power dropping off significantly.

As you can see in the metr logs There are points where Iā€™m sat just over 70 degrees unity temp and under 70 motor temp. Im at 2.0ms ppm on the throttle and well over the low voltage cuttof but only getting 50 amps combined from the motors.

Seems like it may be using the default thermal throttle values rather than the ones I have set.

Furthermore I have had a few instances during Heavy breaking whilst close to the thermal throttle limits where it feels like breaking is reduced to abide by the thermal limits. This does not seem smooth like the power limits during acceleration and is quite jarring.

Not sure how I feel about this behaviour as my gut feeling is that noting should have priority over the breaking. Not had a chance to have a look at the code yet and try to work out whatā€™s causing either of these issues.

Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated.

5 Likes

The reduction in power before you reach 80C is normal if you have (you should have) set the acceleration temperature decrease.
Basically it starts to thermal throttle the motor only during acceleration earlier so you are not suddenly left with less or no brakes.

8 Likes

@trampa is there a plan to release the vesc tool on iOS anytime soon?

Or are there any apps that allow you to run the android version on ios

Steve Jobs would rotate in his grave if he reads this :joy:

5 Likes

Buy better phones maybe?

7 Likes

Thereā€™s no stormcore or (good) smart bms app for android :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

@Trampa @Deodand
I have noticed issues with the Wand remote and my vesc6 having very jerky reaction , acceleration and braking , when starting the board and having the vesc tool connected while having activated the record option.
I donā€™t get the same issues when using the wand on my other board that also has a metr module I use for recording.

The issue is intermittent and once I get it to work it never reappears during that session. Could it be that the vesc dongle is overwhelmed under certain circumstances?

1 Like

@b264 Hypothetically speaking Brian, If the focbox v1.7 came back with 2 day delivery for 80USD but you had to own an iphone to program it. No way around it. what would you do?

3 Likes

My money is on : He gets something else

3 Likes

What do you think?

Would you buy an ESC that only worked if you wore ā€œtrendy awesome-looking shoes that are super-overpriced, and make your feet hurt really badā€?

but it looks good, yo

6 Likes

A man of principle. Much respect

1 Like

Stop being cheap and buy both !

Try to update the dongle. BV changed some code to make the connection more stable. It seams to be linked to an Android update.

1 Like

Something interesting and slightly dangerous I discovered yesterday.

In the middle of a group ride, I sheared some teeth off one of my wheel gears. I decided to remove the gear and let the motor spin freely in order to prevent any further damage.

Once I got rolling, got a bit of speed up and then eventually braked, the remaining 3 wheels locked up instantly due to the traction control.

I understand that this is not an ideal situation, but it was necessary for me to be able to ride the 20km back to the car.

Is there a way to ensure that traction control is only effective under acceleration and not brakes?

My work around was to simply unplug the free spinning motor, but this also had undesirable results. Under acceleration, the board had regular and jerky lulls in power. Quite dangerous and uncomfortable.

Setup is 4wd unity on 5.1.

4 Likes

I plan on buying a cheap Galaxy Tablet to run Stuff like METR, Neptune 10, and VESC Tool for an upcoming build.

Thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab A

Can anyone confirm how METR and The Vesc Tool look on tablet?

Edit: hereā€™s how Metr is on the iPad Pro:

1 Like

Im fuking broke :frowning: i want an iPhone

1 Like

Vesc tool is normal in portrait. All buttons elongated compared to a tall screen. On landscape itā€™s just on 2 columns every setting in motor/app config, 4 dials on rt data first page and all 5 dials slightly staggered on the combined second page

1 Like