VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

Can confirm it is a sin cos resolver.

3 Likes

We need an inbetween axiom and 75/300 for ecycles and cars that arent trying to break land speed records.

2 Likes

300/75 would be more useful than 75/300. This always confused me

4 Likes

Thereā€™s tradeoffs for both high voltage and/or high current. Component selection for high voltage starts to get tricky while maintaining compatibility with the VESCā€™s algorithmsā€¦especially motor detection. Iā€™ve found that bigger and higher voltage power stages will have trouble with Benā€™s motor detection algorithm. Those that made the Axiom have noticed this too. The reason is pretty technical but this will hopefully be addressed.

High current gets hard to manage too. Itā€™s pretty stressful on the components and even small imperfections in layout/design become apparent. Electromagnetically induced noise from the high currents can be quite troublesome too.

6 Likes

When i limit erpm (on both esc sides) to 50.000 in motor settings - general - rpm and cutoff start at 80% and go full throttle on the remote, the side with no receiver slowly ramps down across ~20s until complete stall, while remote side stays full throttle.
Increasing erpm to 60.000 removes this (erpm at full throttle is 52.000~). I donā€™t suppose this is a desired effect?

Running maker-x repaired esc, 4.10hw, 5.1fw, 2.06 vesc tool, 190kv flipsky motors, sensors unplugged, 12s battery
Edit: traction controll is off, both sides

3 Likes

Look at companies like Sevcon, theyā€™re producing ebike and car controllers with specs that are gonna be closer to 300/75 than 75/300. I think they only go up to 144v but thatā€™s perfect for a low end EV

2 Likes

The garbage programming for sevcon units and the $350 programming tool steers me away immediately. And kelly controllers are worse than Flipsky for QC.

3 Likes

True that. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m trying to scale my designs up to compete with sevcon and the like. Itā€™s just taking way longer than I thought.

6 Likes

OH wasnā€™t aware of the issues. Iā€™ve never used them and most older EV conversions take advantage of them. Honestly using a Prius inverter will probably be best way to have a cheap, fairly high power and indestructible motor controller. 400+v 350A on MG2 and 400+v 250A on MG1 is really high, especially for the price, if used

1 Like

When you sell your sevcon competitor Ill be throwing money at my monitor.

@kalebludlow Iā€™d take an Prius inverter and the whole prius battery system for almost any conversion over sevcon for compatibility alone. Im loving your ford laser project cant wait to see it driving someday. Ive heard Sevcon controllers are reliable, pretty sure thats what the Zero FXs use but I just cant stomach half the price of the controller for a programming module Iā€™ll use twice.

3 Likes

I think zero started rollin their own controllers. Sevcon is ok once programmed and configured but theyā€™re built more for forklifts and other low-speed industrial applications.

1 Like

Derail alert. Please choose or create a new thread for this to go into. Thanks.

8 Likes

I have this issue too

I have a different hw setup though.

Both motors spin up to max speed, then one side starts to jerk and decrease speed until its stops spinning. The other side keeps spinning.

That rpm smoothing limit just gave me headache. It was working fine on a setup I had 1 year ago

For now I just removed the rpm limit. You can change the max duty cycle to set your preferred max speed. This removes the problem.

As for torque smoothing at high speedā€¦
There is a new setting for smoother duty cycle limit but I have the exact same issue using that one.

:point_up:t2:Is anyone using this setting and it works?

2 Likes

My biggest issues since switching back to Vedder from Ackmaniac, are ALL related to maximum speed governing. Literally every bug and issue Iā€™ve experienced is related to that.

Itā€™s hard to test top speeds under load, on a bench.

Iā€™ve turned off speed governing on the top end and use it for reverse only, where there are no brakes [or throttle] if you exceed the governing speed.

5 Likes

Did you set it for both motors?

I remember that the speed limit i put in the android app worked really well. It overshoot under no load, but always balanced at the exact speed i set. Do you know what settings that function used?

Yes the settings are the same.

I can make a video of itā€¦ sometime during next week. (waiting for a replacement motor)

@Trampa
@Deodand

Just a small report for you guysā€¦

-I can confirm that my larger scooter hub motors now can be driven after FOC detection with 2.06 (detection using 2.02 didnt work at all)

-Initially I had quite ā€coggyā€ regen breaks at low speed. I got rid of this by increasing the time constant for ki and kp. But then I got abs over current faults at uphill take offs. I reduced the time constant to somewhere in between and now there i just a little coggy breaks and no Abs current faults.

-After installing 2.06 and running the detection, I had a lots of vibrations. Couldnt get rid of them. Did multiple detections and tried different settings.
Switched to BLDC and back to FOC and then vibrations just disappearedā€¦ :man_shrugging:

-Changing the switching frequency got rid of some weird resonance at a certain speed

After some minor tweaking It seems to run fine on these motorsšŸ‘šŸ»

3 Likes

The latest detection method, included in the latest FW should work a lot better for most motors that were difficult to detect in the past.

Yeah, Iā€™m experiencing some of these. On my scooter if Iā€™m going down a hill and exceed max Erpm as soon as I slightly press my brakes it tryā€™s to buck me off the front. Within the Erpm limit the brakes are predictable. If I was on a board I woulda been thrown off

FW5 on FocBoxes