VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

Im having a similar issue with flip sky 4.20 plus… bkb 6354 motors… one of the motors is running 35 amps and the other around 50 amps on detection.

1 Like

Hey @Deodand if I wanna do motor detection on a motor that is larger than 2kg should I be doing it manually? Or just select the 2kg option and hope nothing breaks?

Mister Not-Expert here says he thinks it’s fine if the motor is bigger, just not smaller.

But disclaimer: I’m not responsible for broken motors or ESCs

1 Like

I only asked as the motor would be closer to 50kg than 2kg, mostly worried about esc

3 Likes

ohhh I know what motor that is :wink:

can’t wait to see that build

been following the thread

1 Like

I only just realised for shits and gigs vesc should technically be able to get some spin, even though my esk8 battery voltage is only 25% of what’s required. Onward, for science!

5 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the vesc powered Toyota Prius, coming to a dealership near you soon.

8 Likes

I hate listening to my own voice hahahah

12 Likes

Benjamin also has one in his garage. We just need to wait for the BIG VESC to arrive…

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve been waiting to see what Ben is planning with the bigger stuff, super interested

So the motor is only pulling 2 amps but it’s sitting at 95% duty cycle due to the voltage the motor takes, hence why it’s going so slow. I also can’t get the second motor spinning h because the parking pawl would be engaged.

Edit: oh shit I should be able to connect the motors encoder to the vesc for full foc operation, gonna take the transaxle inside tomorrow for more testing

6 Likes

@kalebludlow what’s your plan here with this? Is this connected to mg1 or mg2 ?

1 Like

That’s a nice remote you have there

1 Like

Connected to MG1 currently as parking pawl applies to MG2 specifically (I think). You can weld some of the gears (planet and carrier? I need to find the thread with the info) to allow MG2 and MG1 to spin at the same speed. I am also able to parallel MG1 to MG2 to get some more power. I’m just doing this for fun and ensure my hardware works
Any other questions can be directed here to not clog this thread: '84 Ford Laser EV Conversion Project

1 Like

You gotta get an Axiom

2 Likes

Already have a controller. I only have ~75kw of power so no point getting a higher spec controller. The Axiom is a form of the big vescs that Frank was referring to (I think)

What type of encoder are you using?

I tried using a quadrature incremental encoder with index with the VESC 6 a while back, ended up not working because the index would end up slowly getting offset by 90°.

If it is the same kind of encoder, could I know how it goes? I would like to get it working on mine, thanks.
Good luck on your conversion project!

1 Like

Does HFI work on that motor?

1 Like

Not sure on what encoder is in it, will tell you tomorrow when I get it inside and on the bench.

@b264 that’s for tomorrow’s testing

3 Likes

Awesome! I’m guessing it is a sin/cos resolver then.

Good luck!

1 Like