VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

Can i make the request that in the future, instead of saying “the latest FW” you actually give a firmware revision number.

This means that users can know if they are already running the version your discussing or if there is a never firmware version which they should update to.

16 Likes

FW 5, the FW debated in this thread.

Just trying to make sure things are clear for everyone.

@Fatglottis was giving a report about his experiences with firmware’s included in vesc tool 2.02 and 2.06.

Correct me if im wrong but both of those VESC tool versions include different firmware revisions right?

im just asking for a revision number, so its clear to everyone what specific firmware release is being referenced.

so when you say:

I have no clue if you mean it was included in all FW5 releases from FW5.00, or if it was changed in the “latest” firmware revision (which is guess is FW5.01). Or if there is a new revision only a few days old that i was not aware about which includes these changes.

dont get me wrong, i am capable of going the git, checking the commit history and seeing what point this change was included but you could have removed all ambiguity if you said:

Its no more effort, its more clear and it will still make sense in a few months time when newer revisions are released.

14 Likes

But that doesn’t sound as good from a marketing perspective.

2 Likes

Oops… I realize that I confused myself with 2,02 and 2.06 being the firmware number.
I mean 4.1 vs 5.1 then. @ducktaperules thanks!

I just threw the info out here since I remember deodand asking for data from people who previously had issues with larger motors and fw 4.1. But maybe those issues are all taken care of and more data is not needed. Still had to iterate different settings manually to get fault free and smooth propulsion (without actually knowing wtf I was doing :roll_eyes:)

I am in fact an every day test engineer for EVs since 8 years back. Finding weird sw behavior is kind of my super power :muscle: Asking someone to flash the latest sw is just asking for trouble :joy:

Anyway, regarding sw development and to sum up my view of it. When there is a new sw released here…
-the majority don’t want to use it before it has been thoroughly tested (understandable from what I have learnt)
-Some people refuse to use anything but ackmaniack sw
-Some guys already have issues with their HW. Trying to evaluate a new fw maybe isn’t where to start.
-Some are happy if the wheels are spinning, but maybe the settings they are using is wearing out the HW. Then of course blaming hw to be the culprit.
-Some guys actually do report issues but comments and possible discussions drowns from the surrounding buzz in here.

I would love to have information in VESC tool about how some some features are intended to work and how to tweak certain parameters to get rid of unwanted behaviour. There are some tips and tricks but I wish there was more. I believe I’m not the only one confused at times.

Unfortunately… We all know documenting sucks.

OMG too much text… I will continue lurking in the shadows now… flapp flapp flapp :bat:

9 Likes

That’s one big thing I’ve noticed with vesc is the lack of usable UX. While I understand that this is a DIY hobby and that we should be used to getting hands on, I just wish vesc tool were easier to use. As a beginner that program screams ‘HARD TO USE’ especially with ambiguous setting and heading names. Why is there a sensor port mode under General then the same setting under FOC/BLDC? This lack of design thought I think this is the only aspect of the vesc project I would change. I wish I was a UX designer, as I’d love to help out in some way.

In the way of helping, I can provide motor detection test results for far larger motors if this is needed @deodand @Trampa

2 Likes

Can it be possible that in a future release, at least on the mobile app, make the terminal accept upper and lowercase commands?
For example, if i put “Faults”, it does not recognize it, but “faults” does.
Just a small inconvenience here… most keyboards are set to do the first letter uppercase.
I think it is possible to set the text field as a password(?) in android, and it will stay lowercase automatically

1 Like

Also, this type of scrolling feels… wrong

To be fair, the terminal isn’t the tool that is meant to be used on a mobile device.

I can’t agree more that VESC Tool isn’t an example of a perfect UI/UX.
Those things are a dedicated job and skills.

While building a house you can’t ask the electrician guy to do a perfect plumbing work.
However, if some guys have these skills, good news : it’s an open house !
They can coming in and give an hand :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Here are some VESC Tutorials that should help most noobs to get started:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6kQ4bL2xPoOio_oRgjdhQA/videos?

6 Likes

That could be useful when you suspect an error and want to check the error code, but can’t use a computer right away.

1 Like

While these are not perfect. And don’t really help more advanced users, this is a really good first step. These should be very useful to beginners. Thanks to the team that made them. @Trampa any plans to make comparable videos for the desktop tool?

1 Like

Good job here Frank, very good quality with the videos and good info. Good to see some videos for beginners, Brian is scrambling to bookmark

I don’t bookmark, I have 594 tabs open. Fight me.

/s :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Why the fuck does this not surprise me. I really hope they’re spread across a few windows at least

1 Like

one thing I REALLY wish would happen is somewhere in the header or body the app would show which VESC ID you’re operating on…

3 Likes

Ooorr the magic button “apply THIS setting/value to both”

6 Likes

Your operating system task scheduler is gonna go :poop: on you xD.

@Trampa I appreciate the efforts here for instructional content. Looking forward to documentation that covers the settings in the VESC tool in detail for the more advanced crowd. Also the GP drive. Such a mysterious thing that is for now.

I’m trying to contribute here by characterizing and understanding how controller hardware differences affect motor detection and control with the VESC firmware. Ideally enough information can be gathered to create sort of a guide on how to manually alter VESC tool settings(observer gain, flux linkage, switching freq, motor sat comp, etc) to compensate for these differences and to also help further with large motor operation.

9 Likes

Before we dig any deeper, we add German, French, Italian and Spanish subtitles.

3 Likes