VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

I got HFI up and (somewhat) running… Unity FW 5.1 only one motor spins up on the bench unloaded, the second motor spins up with a little help, a nudge… then it works… on the road I notice it slightly, however on a slight incline the motors cog severely… on flat ground no issues… both detect using the wizard…

can anyone offer me some insight?

3 Likes

One of my motors sensor wires is not detecting.

The improvements made coupled with a decrease in senseless ERPM over the course of the development of FW5 have made my cogging on one motor from start go from very annoying to straight non-existent as if it were sensored to begin with.

Small gains. :+1:

4 Likes

Got the same problem with both of my motors
They are sensored and work fine on flats but on any hill they dog
Tell me if you find a fix

silly question, are sensors even used in HFI mode?

Nope!

2 Likes

They are not.

Did you follow this video exactly?

What numbers did you come up with?

Also try lowering the Sensorless ERPM HFI setting; the default is way too high imho, try 1000erpm. I’m about to try even lower than that…

1 Like

as close as I humanly could!

my issue is only 1 motor spins up automatically on HFI the other motor gets lugged along for the ride… as soon as it’s nudged, moved, rotated it spins just fine…

also, I notice a slight, very slight cog… maybe cog isn’t the right word… but a hitch in the board when skating along, coasting, when I move the remote off center to apply power or brake… it’s not scary, but it’s a weird, not seamless feeling…and I don’t know, i can only speculate, this is due to one motor lagging… which NEVER happened when running on sensors

The motors are LOUDER in operation than FOC from Unity fw23.46 kid of a turbo-jetplane sound… it’s kind cool… but not quite steath-like when on Unity FW.

I’ll worry about Sensorless ERPM HFI after I figger out why one motor is subborn…

What numbers did you come up with?

1 Like

Set up my hummie hubs on HFI today. (Roll on auto detection…)
It’s not perfect but seems to start up smoothly and very noisily.
My numbers are
HFI start voltage. 30v
HFI run voltage 18v
HFI max voltage 22v

6 Likes

Are you setting up each motor @kook? Or just the first one? Sorry if this is an obvious question but you need to select and configure motor 2.

2 Likes

I was naughty and pushed the same from motor 1 over to motor 2 also. Did I do bad things?

1 Like
2 Likes

Its generally ok to run the same settings for both motors of same type (except the hall sensors might need custom settings) you just need to make sure to set both motors to HFI with same voltages.

1 Like

Cool, they’re hummie hubs with no sensors.
Just did detection of both motors then went through HFI on one motor. Then used the 3 parameters the same one on the other one…

1 Like

@Deodand Any idea what up with the temp sensor reading not showing up? @taz and I both experienced it.

I went from Unity FW 23.46 --> FW 5.1 then I reverted and got my readings back.

Also, power switch setting…?

1 Like

I’ll investigate. Probably a bug.

Yes the power timeout settings is now in app -> general. For now I kind of fit what settings I could into the existing configs, so time pressed to off is not currently present. This might change if enough people complain about it, was under the impression it wasn’t a setting most cared about.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks. Love being able to talk to you. Setup was just a Torqueboards DD with the hall sensors plugged in.

I bet most don’t care but changing the “press switch to power off time” from 1500ms to 750ms makes it that much easier to quickly turn the Unity off with a short press :grin:

Looking forward to testing what you all have been working on!

Yeah I got the bug reproduced and I think Vedder just found the issue, small bug in the new median filter (missing parantheses).

9 Likes

Can vesc tool be compiled on Windows so BLE works on Windows? and atleast for now a note added why it doesn’t work, I always thought it was my PC hardware that was the issue :confused:

3 Likes

You can use your phone as a bridge. This method is faster than direct BLE from computer to board. Both devices have to be in the same network. To bridge via the phone you have to go to DEVELLOPER in the app and enable the TCP Bridge. In VESC Tool you go to connections and then TCP. Enter the IP your App shows and connect to the VESC.

2 Likes