VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

Maybe this will answer your question…

1 Like

Yes the FOCBOX UI/Tool will go out of support for this new firmware. Maybe we can take inspiration from some of the convenience of the config pages, we will see!

11 Likes

It would be cool of you could have 2 modes in the app (beginner & advanced). The ez mode would be like the the focbox UI and advanced would be like how the vesc tool is now.

3 Likes

much, much, much easier to configure the board with FOCBOX UI/Tool

2 Likes

goin’ for that sweet HFI right now…

2 Likes

This helps a lot

3 Likes

Third time thru @Deodand’s tutirial… Plugging in da powa and USB © now…hold my beer… The next sound I hear will be hfi music!

4 Likes

BTW… This is the LAST TIME i experiment on a perfectly outstanding board!

Werds to live by right? Brian!
Why did i do this to myself… At least nuttins bricked yet…

3 Likes

You okay with the HFI setup so far?

One thing I have been figuring out is that I keep lowering the HFI cut-in erpm and each time I lower it, the skate works better. Right now I’m at

HFI Start Voltage: 22.00V
HFI Run Voltage: 8.00V
HFI Max Voltage: 12.00V
Sensorless ERPM HFI: 1085.00 (0.75mph)

…and have plans to lower it from 1085 to 868erpm next time I am in the settings… 2000 is definitely too high… but I haven’t found a value I recommend yet… and every motor/ESC will be different I think…

3 Likes

This in mine, haven’t played around with Sensorless ERPM HFI yet.

HFI Start Voltage: 12.00V
HFI Run Voltage: 4.00V
HFI Max Voltage: 6.00V
1 Like

perhaps we can take example from other disciplines… when you first get in the VESC tool it asks you what iz your pleasure…
for example…

• robotics
  • esk8
  • agricultural
  • balance
  • none of your bidness

and the tool automatically limits your basic on screen selection process… but a simple… “advanced” button gives you any and all options possible…

I found the FOCBOX UI, cool… too the point… up and riding in a minute… but when I look at VESC tool… I see parts of the greek alphabet I didn’t know existed…

fuuk yeah… dumb down the basic interface with always the option to unleash the firmware krakken would be awwesome…

5 Likes

Updated to Unity FW 5.1 from FW 23.46 in about 10 seconds. Seamless. Re-configuration was slightly more difficult (perhaps just different/unfamiliar or new) but really only a small learning curve.

Tested out the smart reverse and I think the default values are good. I’m definitely used to holding the brake all the way back but I think I understand how this is supposed to be used. I also tried current hyst reverse with brake (no ermp limit) and didn’t like that but I’ll give it a try with a low negative erpm limit and see how it compares to smart reverse.

Everything is great except I lost my motor temp readings… shows up at -100˚C. Can anyone help with that?

3 Likes

I quit… Too mucho trabajo…mi crudo…necesito muy mas facil…m

1 Like

I keep switching back to Current Hyst Reverse with Brake because Smart Reverse I just can’t seem to like. I just keep the “Don’t go overspeed in reverse” in mind any time I back up and definitely don’t back up when facing uphill… and if you do lose brakes by overspeed, start footbraking immediately before you gain any more speed

edit 2022: do NOT set an erpm limit, and do this if you want to limit speed:

3 Likes

When ya figger it out… Let us know… I really don’t need reverse that much need 100% control and intuitive control…

1 Like

Then you want Current No Reverse with Brake :ok_hand:

Forward always goes forward and backward always stops wheels. Always.

7 Likes

YUP

100% agree…

3 Likes

Been rocking that since the beginning and love it. Smart reverse may prove useful on DD tho

1 Like

if you could get a simple reliable intuitive control that you could switch from auto-manual… HFI on start… ride into the sunset mode… well let me just say i’d do bad things… maybe even a burn out mode…

4wd fronts locked like lilocks spin up the rears smoke show… yeah I do it on corded pneummies…

1 Like