Veiftech - DIY upgraded Leiftech V2

Hey

I got very bad sounds coming from one motor in the past.
It was the Motorshaft which was fucked up where the bearings sits.

4 Likes

Getting a ton of ABS overcurrent errors. It causes the wheel to lock up usually throwing me off, if I let the throttle go and push it again it keeps going.

My guess is I should set motor A to 60 -60 and battery to 40A
@DavidC @NoWind
What settings are you running? Did you get errors like this?

Also I didn’t see people talking about the poor clearance above the wheel. Path is covered in needles and dirt, and they just mowed so plenty of grass too.

Flashbacks to my onewheel having this problem :dizzy_face:

The wheels still spin but sometimes they don’t want to start moving due to the resistance.
I have to bring a tool to scrape it out…

Hoping for less issues when it’s actually dry out.

1 Like

I’d try:

In Motor Settings > General > Advanced > Fault Stop Time, set that to like 50ms (I’ve been doing that on all mine lately)

Also, on Motor Settings > General > Current > Absolute Maximum Current, set that as high as it will let you set it, typically 150A.

Then if a fault is thrown, it gives you control of the throttle again in 50ms instead of 500ms, which, for me, is enough for me to feel the fault but not enough for me to get thrown off, like 500ms is

2 Likes

Perfect thank you. I’m going to give it another quick ride then try that, tomorrow is very rainy but friday looks like the day.

Takes about 3-4 hours to charge at 1.7A, Max my bench power supply can handle. Need a car battery to use as a power source.

1 Like

You are trying to push those Leif motors at 60A?

Try battery 15A, motor max 35A and min -35A

3 Likes

It seems like this is what I actually wanted.

idk yeah I should prob try 35 or 40A

I generally leave traction control off, should I try turning it on?

1 Like

No, that number is the number at which it throws a fault.

Max it out if you don’t want faults.

1 Like

I set Battery Max 60 and Motor Max 60 (8S). No ABS overcurrent error.

Check firmware. Firmware that came with first version of VESC-Tool 5.0 stroke a lot of errors of this kind.

I use ACKMANIAC firmware (known, tested, no surprise).

3 Likes

The Leif has traction control on for the beginner mode, I didn’t like the feeling of it though and skipped straight to the fast mode without traction control

3 Likes

I am also using ACK, otherwise I would have no bluetooth

I thought you usually want motor A to be greater than batt A. Sounds like your settings would be good for sliding though.

2 Likes

I run my motrs with Vesc4 in BLDC mode, sensorless, 30A Motor. Same for Brake.

3 Likes

I think I found what I could use…

1 Like

I just reprogrammed it and now one is not spinning :confused:

it is getting signal. I can feel that it had braking power but no spinning or jittering or noise
lol nvm it is jittering but a concerningly small amount

I found this picture in the manual for the leiftech.

It appears to be a straight on shot of the motor plate I want to replace. I think I can get the mounting hole dimensions from it.

I am going to try cleaning the bushes to see if the motor starts moving, I feel like I also need to adjust the motor settings it something.

2 Likes

20200514_103058
Plenty of grease on there

wasn’t expecting this to be not held in by anything but the brushes
All the brushes are around the correct height.

Tightening this bolt reduced the wobble, which is mostly due to the bearing not anything really loose.

3 Likes

I put it all back together, and the motor still does not want to start up.

I realized I can give it a little push and if it is spinning it can start to spin actually move.

Guess I’ll go ride it.

Ow my ass

Ya it’s working ok

1 Like

Basically did a range test opn accident. Didn’t hear the 10% warning.

Only got that single ABS overcurrent because it went over 150A @b264

1 Like

The stock V2 doesn’t have enough torque to get going from a stop. You just need to do a quick kick-push and then give it some throttle. Then you’re good to ride. I think that is a design flaw. However, there is a hidden “feature” here. What you are doing is forcing the casters to align with each other before you get going, rather than the motors trying to fight each other. Check out timestamp 1:19 on my riding tutorial video

4 Likes

Yep I was following your instructions on that from the start, very helpful.

Problem is that the motor was able to start spinning up in the air before but not anymore. Not really an issue because It still works while you are riding it.

My guess is that it has to do with the massive amount of organic debris that is all over it now, but it also occured right after reprogramming so that should be a factor as well.
Wish I had somewhere cleaner to ride.

1 Like