Veiftech - DIY upgraded Leiftech V2

@Lee_Wright whatcha make of that? (I know you are planning on getting rid of the sbx esc)

There is stuff to be learned from aaron’s dev work having to do with running VESC I think though.

3in wheel vs 4in about 10mm taller plates needed.

Day=made

Days=wasted

(Sounds like someone wants the full CAD model of the SBX dropped already :nerd_face:)

1 Like

I think the ParAll trucks designing work has helped me figure out a good concept design for a suspension caster.

I mean, I was thinking about using skateboard bushings for a while but I have better ideas now hahaha.

These two adapter parts let you use 1/2in hex shaft in a 22mm od bearing bore seat.

maybe I should be using rounded hex, I am not sure about 3/8 hex strength wise…

There is one more interesting hex drive wheel choice and that is the many many urethane compliant wheels out there.

I am thinking I can try something like @RipTideSports was thinking with a bunch of duros stacked to form a variable hardness, but form a rounded profile with harder wheels in the center. Possibly I could try larger diameter very soft wheels on the outside with harder smaller wheels in the center of the module.
The goal being allowing you to add as many wheels as you feel you need to ride on softer sand while also allowing the curved wheel feeling for switching edges. Gives me ideas about trying to make diy inflatable or at least my own hollow/compliant wheels.

I still have a good feeling about take two of @TheGoodMomentum’s wheels and putting them back to back to form a rounded wheel, modular with inserts as well!

2 Likes

do you think for a design intended for sand and possibly snow that screw drives could be appropriate drive methods?

Paddle wheels much better for speed I would guess.

heh I was thinking about maybe supporting some RC wheel hubs as there is some standard sizes. Then fit those sand tires.

never posted my leiftech battery teardown pics.
each side of the split pack is like this:

the Summerboard sbx remote has been an absolute shitshow… no tape or glue on batteries then bad wire management making throttles get stuck. Bad instruction and firmware updates making speed read 99mph, general remotes not connecting to SB app.

Then also this^

I wish an aftermarket remote was not so badly needed.

2 Likes

Yeah there is a lot of things wrong with this board. really makes me wish I just bought just the casters and diy’d the rest of the board.

1 Like

well I certainly will try to get a SBX and reverse engineer all the parts, to help you do that sometime in the future!

I have been studying the first pics coming out of the Freebord 5 and 5-X parts getting ready to model all those. here I asked Marco Other about how the quality of his caster compares to the new gen Freebord ones.
Not sure where to place the Summerboard Caster on the quality list, somewhere between Freebord alpha and G3-R I think. Depends on if you count the housing plastic parts or consider them a required upgrade to truly compare.

My end goal being allowing you to buy/take freebord casters and attach the SBX slip ring system and a boardnamics drivetrain of sorts.

1 Like

Leiftech motor mount 30mm bolt pattern.STEP (186.8 KB)

1 Like

best leif v2 motor model.STEP (2.4 MB)
Leiftech V2 closed motor shaft.STEP (45.9 KB)
leif v2 motor drawing.SLDDRW (90.9 KB)

This plate that locks the axle to the rotor can gets pounded till there is quite a few degrees of rotational slop. This actually helps a lot on startup from a standstill allowing some erpm on the motor before any torque is applied to the belt.

It would be an interesting idea to play around with limited slip clutches on the drive system, allowing the belt to survive geting spun up in a jump. Ir just a much more aggressive version of the sloppy axle allowing near a full rotation idk.

bad model posted previously

SBX FRESHIE v1.STEP (298.9 KB)
SBX FRESHIE v2.STEP (335.5 KB)

on the v1 wheel they got ripped up, this is how I finally got a wheel.

I tried to remove the rubber but ended up cutting it at the holes.
SBX wheel freshie v1 tread cut off.STEP (217.1 KB)
this I will use to cast my own tread onto, thinking a single use mold will be easiest.

:heavy_plus_sign:

:heavy_plus_sign:

:pause_button:

1 Like

that is about as much as it cost to get a set from SB, I remember them going for $40 a set or something.

So I would only want to make my own if I could really make them signifigantly stronger like making the outside be metal with a plastic part insulating the copper.

good thing I was moving forward with SBX wheels as my first choice, then maybe colsons but idk.

Leiftech battery dimensions

1 Like

They removed that link already, but they used an older product pic because I have not noticed now the brushes have these cuts on them.

any load on the board would make that clearance better.