Using LED Driver as a 12s Charger

For me it’s working.

It doesn’t work here.

I think you posted some sort of marketing redirect, and that might be why it’s not working. If you click it, where do you end up? What URL?

If I click it I will be directed to the AliExpress app. From where I copied the link. As we found our it works for some people, depending if they use there phone or pc.

I have the 7A version of the yzpower charger mentioned above laying around with no real use, should ship to UK till the weekend. I got myself a Graupner Ultramat 18 instead. It can charge everything up to 12s and balances.

1 Like

I’m not going to download “an app” from “a store” to see how much something costs :rofl:

If they aren’t modern enough to be able to use the world wide web, then fuck 'em! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just don’t use there website and i‘m not starting to do so…so :tipping_hand_man:

The funny thing… i tried it now on my laptop at work an oh wonder the link work as well and direct me to there website. I really don’t know what is the problem why its working for some people and for some not.

1 Like

The HTG-320H-48A just arrived from amazon and it looks great :slight_smile:

The cables are a little short but other than that it looks great. It feels solid and well built, I have no doubts it will outlast my board :smile:

Will get a plug put on it and test it out later this evening

4 Likes

I got an HLG-150-48A and it’s actually adjustable all the way down to 42.1V

Ive wired it through to a watt/power meter and intend to hook it up to my 10S Lipo setup when my Bestech BMS arrives

The mean wells are built like tanks. The endless sphere guys rave about them, so pretty confident it’ll last for a long time

6 Likes

So if we put a large diode in series with the output, we could get down to 40.7V (compatible with 10S) it seems?

2 Likes

From some recent reading, diode voltage drop is nonlinear and varies with current (less current, less drop).

Are you trying to charge 10s and 12s with the same meanwell? Unfortunately the models don’t overlap nicely for this.

2 Likes

If I learned anything from my circuits 2 course, a diode would work well until the current slowed as the I/R of the battery increased. As long as the current (~8A for the diode @b264 listed above) could be maintained until charging was nearly complete it shouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately I don’t know of any reasonable way to accomplish this.

3 Likes

I bought the 48V Meanwell as I thought I was going to go 12S, but only went for 10S in the end. I realised that it actually drops down all the way to 42.1V so thought it might be useful still.

All my 10S brick chargers are all slightly over 42v anyways, so as long as you have a BMS then it should be OK, right?

2 Likes

To drop the voltage even further you could also try modifying the trim pot so that it has a larger adjustment range. Theres a bit of talk about this on ES for other Meanwell models, the only downside being the drop in efficiency as you go out of the manufacturers voltage range.

Getting into the Meanwell is a challenge in itself though. I opened it up the other day and its just a solid block of plastic/rubber. I think the entire circuit is encased to make it waterproof and shock resistant

1 Like

Yeah 42.1V on 10S should be ok.

1 Like

My meanwell HLG-320H-48A charger . . .

It arrived last week so i put some plugs on and here are my findings:

PROS:

• Build quality is great. feel like this thing will take a beating on road trips without any ill effects.
  • Seems to provide slightly above the advertised CC adjustment range.
  • Seems to run only slightly warm even when turned up to the max.
  • Fan-less design and IP65 mean it should be resilient to getting damp or wet.

CONS:

• Its fairly heavy.
  • The cables it comes with are quite short. As you can see i cant quite put it on the floor whilst charging. I tried to open it and see if i could replace the cables with something longer but it looks like its sealed with some sort of spadge. I think the only option would be to splice longer cables on externally or risk ruining the seal.

Screenshots from BMS showing min and max current.

10 Likes

Been using one of these now for a few weeks https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IU8QBCO/ as the AC->DC converter before feeding into a Keenstone AR1 balance charger (500W), no issues to report yet, it is loud you wouldn’t want to leave it on while not charging but so far no sparks or bangs.

1 Like
3 Likes

So… I’m sick of almost constantly getting different amp chargers each time I decide to upgrade my pack. This seems to be the ideal solution for me.

Based on a few posts above, BMS takes care of cutting/stopping the charger once the pack is full since this led driver only operates in CC, no CV. Is this correct? Also, I assume you’d need a voltmeter to know/measure if you have adjusted it to your desired volts.

I’m about to pull the trigger on this.

2 Likes

These power supplies won’t stop the charge. It would be up to ur bms. But then again that feature of cutting the charge is over-rated and isnt really a safety feature or help pack longevity as I understand it. It is just constant voltage. Or this one also has a current limit. Highly recommend wiring in a wattmeter on the end so u can see what voltage ur at and so much more.

Ashamed to be showing my uncovered wires on the plug. Don’t do that. Been meaning to add something. Don’t trust that liquid tape insulation.

5 Likes