Using LED Driver as a 12s Charger

It’s actually not good for litihium ion chemistry cells to be left at full or empty charge state. How much damage varies model to model. Float charging at max charge is kind of bad. If done habitually will have some negative effect over time. Have you noticed power tool chargers and gopro battery chargers all terminate? And cell phone chargers terminate, and kick back in if state of charge drops below a threshold?

Yup, and for below 50% you can do the 4A-per-cell charge, probably even 8A charge. right @hummieee?

I know you have a portable application here but I find lab PSUs even more handy than the meanwells. Some of the switchmode lab PSU are not quite so expensive, small and light. But so much more useful for all kinds of troubleshoot for eskate.

Something like this (careful to get the 110v version):

There’s a 6017 (17A!) model but it’s $$$ and very hard to find the 110v version.

3 Likes

This is all very impressive and im sure its far superior in terms of pack monitoring and flexibility. But if i whip this out at the pub or the local Nandos it will look suspicious as hell.

Having a single “power brick” style charger is not only convenient but also looks professional and safe. Whilst we know that a DIY charger will be fine i dont want to have to explain this to the staff in Starbucks before i get kicked out.

Also i can configure a maximum charge time in my bms so that charge power is cut after a while.

1 Like

Seemingly yea higher charge at lowest states of charge. Wow that’s a lot a power cheap. O shipping adds a lot and seems for higher voltage mains. Which he would have

I don’t quite see the point in this, you can get 12s 8a lithium chargers for $50 on eBay already

I think the point is adjustable voltage and better reliability

1 Like

Do u have it and has it blown up yet

1 Like

No sparks of death so far, it’s pretty well made as far as I can tell

1 Like

These have proven to be solid if you ask maybe they are able to make it for 12s

1 Like

Why are there no chargers out there with finely tunable peak voltages, current, and cut offs?

3 Likes

Cycle Satiator, but $$$

https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/chargers.html

5 Likes

Honestly I haven’t looked in to the options much myself. Just what I had gathered from this thread. But if lack of availability is the case, I would assume it to be related to a perceived lack of market for the functionality and what it would cost to provide such function. I like burning money so whoever comes out with a 10-13S 3-8A adjustable charger can have my routing number right now.

1 Like

Oh shit, right on

1 Like

mother of god.

1 Like

I run a very similar setup as bench DC power supply, but these DC controllers max voltage is 50v - for 12s you need about 50.6v for bms to go into balance charge.

i use dps5015 with a cheapo 60v ac to dc led driver off amazon:

3 Likes

I know I don’t get it either. I guess one of these power supplies paired with an easily configured BMS like the LLT power smart BMS can do all those things.

1 Like

There are also these

https://lunacycle.com/luna-charger/

The blue “advanced” chargers have a V, A display and a 3 position knob for voltage, and a 5 position knob for current. For us the 48V is 13S and the 36V is 10S. No 12S option.

1 Like

The link is broken.

https://lunacycle.com/luna-charger/

Works for me

2 Likes

I Read over the datasheet for the mean well led driver. As far as using it goes I think it would work, but only with a BMS. The output doesn’t even need to be exactly 50.6. a decent BMS should function even 51 v Input and only charge to 50.6.

Protection setup looks good (same modes as DC battery chargers) although, again, a good BMS will handle alot anyway…

I’m no expert, but I do know my way around a datasheet.
Biggest drawback is of course no status indicator to tell you it’s full.
DC is DC man, but Edison was a dick.

3 Likes

Same basic setup as me, I’m going use 5 x 12v @800 W server psus I got from the workplace scrap heap. (that’s 4KW of charger, can you say “overpowered”?

2 Likes