Unity w/ VX1 Setup Help Needed

Hello everyone, I’m hoping to get some guidance on my first DIY build. So far everything seems fine, aside from my remote connection setup. It works, runs the motors well enough, but I’m unsure if I’m missing something with the app/remote calibration.

Forgive me if this is an amateur issue. I am indeed an amateur.

I assumed I set it up in UART, as I used the included cable (with the VX1). I haven’t soldered the battery wire to the positive lead yet, I have to splice that in tomorrow.

Currently I’ve gone through the motor detection wizard, seems to have saved all those settings. Does the remote calibration not work in UART? Would I still be able to program and save the throttle curves?

I did make sure it was receiving RT data, but still no dice.

This isn’t a build I intend on tinkering with too much after it’s done, so I’m hoping to get as close as I can before I close everything up and do cable management.

Specs:
12s4p Samsung 30Q
Haggydrive (6365 190kv 60A max sensored)
FOCBOX Unity
Flipsky VX1 (using included cable that seems to follow the wiring diagrams of the remote and Unity)

Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GnwvLv96Hv7Aj4H79

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

1 Like

I pasted in the wrong video link, my apologies. Here’s the right one:

1 Like

@Linny

I know you’ve messed with both of these units…any thoughts here?

Set mode to UART and baudrate to 115200, see if it helps.

1 Like

You have to set up your unity without it, go through motor detection and app set up with the receiver disconnected. Once everything is done, turn off and wait a few seconds for good measure, then connect and test.

3 Likes

I told you guys I’ve been seeing tons of vx remotes having unity issues!

Not that anyone in specific is listening…

2 Likes

I thought my VX1 was playing nice with my Unity and even got 30 miles or so under my belt with that setup before it locked up my wheels at high speed resulting in broken bones. I was using UART for the connection. During troubleshooting after the wreck I switched to a mini remote over PWM and the issues completely dissapeared. Be careful with the VX1/Unity combo and please consider using the PWM servo connection instead of UART. There is something fishy going on with UART communication between these two devices (at least in my case).

2 Likes

I’m scared of uart remotes in general still. It’s too smart of a port and I had an issue with another device plugged into my uart port while still using a ppm remote (mini as well).

Unity uart is :fish:

3 Likes

The same VX1 worked properly in previous build where I had it hooked up to a pair of Flipshit 4.12 ESCs. I know plenty of builders including @mackann use the Unity/VX1 combo but after doing some post-crash research I read this:

mackannBioboards Builder

Only run them in PPM, have not tried uart so not sure if it works with Unity on uart.

Also, @rey8801 says:

rey8801The MAD King

Nov '19
I can confirm. Vx1 vesc4 model. For unity use PPM and the blue cable is just to have the battery level on the remote. It goes wherever outputs the battery voltage.

@longhairedboy - Hey Damon, I know you have experience running the Unity with VX1 controllers. Do you use PWM or UART?

2 Likes

Just to confirm. Riding daily with Unity + Vx1 combo. PPM only. all good

5 Likes

PPM on VX1, UART on VX2. Both work with unity if you do them that way. I have both setups in my garage right now on my daily riders.

The issues with VXx remotes and Unity most recently are probably more due to the latest bullshit batches of unities and not the remotes themselves. I went a good two years with no issues on unites and then in the last few months of their existence i threw six of them in the bin. There was definitely bad batches.

5 Likes

This is great information, thank you.

For setting it up via PPM, do I just use the 3-pin cable in the Unity box and set it up in the Servo connection?

I tried @Linny’s suggestion, but no dice. I’ll give the PPM setup a go.

I assume with PPM there’s no reverse function available? Or can I still set it to reverse by pulling back the throttle? It’s not the end of the world if I can’t, I’ve just gotten used to it.

Thank you all very much for the help, I’ll give this all a try today and post back.

Having a Unity in the build was kind of for nostalgia/dreammaking purposes. I was starry eyed when they came out, having wanted to build with one for a while. But by then I had already engulfed myself entirely in the Onewheel world. Now I’m rejoining my eskate life and picking up where I left off. At some point I wouldn’t be too opposed to swapping this out for something else if it fails totally.

I’ve read plenty of mixed feelings on the Flipsky stuff, so I’ll leave my options open.

Again, thank you all. :pray:

1 Like

On one board I have been using both. Just change 1 settings in the unity app to swap. Works fine.

2 Likes

That’s really interesting… I can’t for the life of me get the Unity to connect to my Pixel3’s Bluetooth, so I’m using the USB connection. But whenever I get a VX2 I’ll give that a go. Thank you!

Just as an update and a massive thank you to everyone here, the VX1 set up with PPM works perfectly so far. Voltage lead soldered into the battery connection, remote reads fine. Fine tuned the throttle curves in Current mode, and everything runs smoothly.

Haven’t run the board on a test ride yet (have to drill out the deck and all that), but remote-wise it seems fine.

4 Likes

Great to see it worked out.
I can confirm that Unity + Vx1 uart is a no go.
It screws with the built in bt module too!
PPM works great and is reliable on the unity.
But because of this UART issue the vx2 can’t be used with unity, and i doubt that the trampa wand will work either. (maybe with external bt dongle?)
ride safe

VX2 on unity with UART works, just pain to work with.
Wand reportly works on unity with FW5 + trampa’s dong, but I doubt many people use this setup

I only use PPM on the unity with the VX1. I’m not sure what it was, but UART just carries some issues between the unity and some UART recievers. It made the original shitty vx2 completely incompatible and on some FWs I would guess the vx1 also just won’t work.

Can you link to any post relating unity and wand?
i want to try but cant find anything about it

thx

the wizard himself confirmed this