uSplit - UART Splitter for VESC-based ESCs

You are incredible!!!

Ill send you a direct message. Thanks again boss

1 Like

I bought a usplit to do just this and with the Bluetooth module and remote connected the tilt seems to not want to go full throttle… only tilts minimally and the remote shows the wrong voltage when connected to usplit as well and jumps around… I’ll try and rip it apart this weekend and get a video to show

Its is very interesting that the voltage jumps around. That sounds like the data from a different message is getting forwarded to the remote than the one it is expecting. That could only happen if the IDs are the same but the data is different so my guess is the selective COMM_GET_VALUES request is used by both devices and the responses are getting misdirected.

Can you try plugging only the remote into the uSplit? Then only the bluetooth module? That will tell me which issue is caused by the uSplit alone vs the interaction of the packets sent / received by the devices.

Also, can you tell me which bluetooth module your using?

I have just released a new version of the uSplit FW and I urge anyone who has experienced issues with their uSplits in the past to try this one out!

I have finally resolved all known issues as well as ones that had not come up in any issue investigation so far. After testing the latest FW for many hours with various combinations of the devices below and experiencing no freezes with near lossless communication, I am now comfortable with titling this release v1.0

• Metr Pro
  • DAVEga
  • DAVEga X
  • FreeSK8 Robogotchi
  • FreeSK8 OSRR
  • FlexiBMS Lite
  • Spintend Uni1
  • Flipsky VX2
  • Flipsky VX4
  • BKB Voyager
  • Flipsky Bluetooth Module V4
  • Flipsky Bluetooth Module V6

As always, there are no guarantees that this FW does not have bugs still lurking around, but I believe the majority of users will find that it improves their experience in one way or another.

4 Likes

Yeah nah. I updated to the latest and still freezes. About 8 mins into riding. Xenith, davega and vx4 telemetry.

1 Like

Damn, I dont have a Xenith to test with so it might be something unique to the Unity type dual escs. Can you tell me what version FW is on the xenith and DAVEga, as well as the HW version of the Xenith?

Is this the same experience you had before the update, or was there some sort of change in behavior after?

Hi mate, yeah same symptom as before the update.

Davega hardware is v1.2 running v5.06 firmware
Xenith is v2.1 running v5.3 firmware

Hope this helps

1 Like

Thanks, Im thinking its time I get a Xenith to cover all bases when testing. Do you know anywhere I can still get one? They are sold out on all sites Ive checked

Yeah you’re right they are scarce now, is there anything I can do at my end to help you?

1 Like

Hey, I think my problem with the xenith uart port freezing is historical.

I’ve been doing some reading and seems Unity’s and I’m guessing xenith’s also had trouble with vx1 remotes using uart connection the port over time would lock up.
So the issue I’m having probably isn’t your usplit but more a unity issue.

Personally I’ve never had a problem myself with just using the davega alone but maybe with the extra amount of requests might cause the uart to freeze.

It’s all good I might switch the remote to a non telemetry.

1 Like

That is a good point. I recall there being an issue with the older singled ESC VESC FW that cause the UART to freeze under heavy load, but I figured the unity / xenith FW would be built on FW that had this issue fixed. Unfortuanely I cant track the issue down to a specific release or commit of the VESC FW. I swear it was mentioned in the change log before, but now I dont see it. Do you have references you could point me to that discuss the issue further?

If the uSplit is the cause of the freeze, it should have one or more lights stuck ON. To test if that is the root of your issue, you could try connecting different devices to the uSplit. If the communication consistently freezes and there are no lights left lit up on the uSplit, then it would seem likely that the Xenith’s UART is locking up.

1 Like

This was one example I found, it was using a vx1 remote though via uart connection.

1 Like

Ive got a xenith 2.0 in my board at the moment. If you want i could lend it out in the winter months for testing while im not riding.

2 Likes

@me_ashman, thanks for that link. It definitely looks like there is some sort of documented issues with the Unity UART comms on their own, but I still cant seem to find an official statement that the problem exists.

@walnuts, thats so awesome of you! Do you live in the US? If so, Ill totally take you up on that offer. We can work out the details in PM if your still down.

1 Like

Hell yeah man ill shoot you a DM

1 Like

I’ve been testing with the Xenith that @walnuts loaned out to me (Huge thanks to @walnuts for that!) for about 2 weeks now and have been able to catch 2 bugs that existed in the startup tx/rx detection sequence. I believe these bugs are responsible for the issues described in your earlier post where you stated some reliability issue could be fixed by swapping the tx and rx pins of the connected device.

Outside of the tx/rx detection issue, I havent been able to get any bugs to show up past startup. I have configured my bench setup exactly as you have described in your recent post but have not had any failures after many hours of operation. I have tried other devices connected to maximize the loading and vary the packets seen, but no luck.

To test if the tx/rx bug fixes also fix the latent freezes after startup, can you try flashing the new uSplit test FW attached here? Maybe the freezes are related to the tx/rx detection due to small power dropouts that restart the uSplit and trigger the detection mid ride.
uSplit 1v1 - Test.bin (31.1 KB)

3 Likes

Righto, I’ll give it a crack over the weekend

1 Like

Just replying to say another happy customer here. Got my uSplit a week or two ago and got it installed on my mountainboard yesterday. Connected to CAN side of my D100S and have a Flipsky BT module and my Davega connected to it and both are working great.

4 Likes

This seems to work much better. I took it for a run today and no freezes. I’ll keep testing and let you know.

cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for checking it so quickly! And thats great to hear! Hopefully the latest bug fixes perminantly resolve the issues your were previously seeing :crossed_fingers:

@AlexB Im very glad to hear you are happy with the uSlpit and it was simply plug-n-play in your build! If you run into any issue in the future, just let me know.

1 Like