Unity internal UART wiring

Hey,

Just got my hand on a maytech V2 remote, and to display telemetry the receiver needs to be wired to the TX and RX from the uart port, since the main uart port is already in use, i wanted to use the port of the integrated bluetooth module (wich i removed a long time ago).
Does anybody know the wiring of the internal uart port ? I can’t find anything on the unity pcb, and since i lost the original bluetooth module, i don’t know if there is any indication there.

Cheers

1 Like

That’s all I’ve got for ya

4 Likes

And that’s exactly what i needed :heart:
Thanks

3 Likes

interested in how this works out for you.

1 Like

Unfortunately i can’t seem to be able to read any data from there, Everything works just fine wired to the standard uart, but not from this port. I wonder if it uses the baudrate setting as the other port, since it was designed for a specific bluetooth module it may be a fixed baudrate.

Maybe @Deodand can help with this ?

2 Likes

I am interested in this as well. I have my NRF Dongle to the standard UART and trying to get my DAVEGA working through this. Can we adjust the internal uart with the VESC firmware if that is the issue?

1 Like

hmm clearly Enertion had nothing to do with the focbox.

definitely

1 Like

I opened this on the VESC Project as I’m using 5.1 to see if there is a way to set the Baud rate. https://vesc-project.com/node/2726

1 Like

I took a look at the vesc github repo, the baudrate seems to be set at 250000, and i can’t see a way to configure it without rebuilding the firmware. Maybe be it can be changed using the vesc terminal, but it would probably reset to this value when rebooting the unity.

Can you point me to this? I can set it and build the firmware and flash and test it to see. Im fine with running custom if its the same version im on now.

Found the Github link to the VESC tool. I am using 5.01 firmware. I need to just find out where this is set and compile a new firmware but I see the firmwares listed in the folder and are .bin

The firmware repo is here :

And the baudrate is defined in here (search for HW_UART_P_BAUD, line 51) :

1 Like

So I changed the value reconciled and went to custom file and wrote it. Not my unity is not responding and I can’t shut off the board and had to pull the connector. I think it’s bricked :raising_hand_man::sob:

So I changed this value. for 51.

Then did a rebuild_alll

Copied unity/VESC_default.bin to my windows machine
Loaded 2.06 VESC_Tool
Read all defaults
Firmware - Custom Files - Load VESC_default.bin

Device wont shut off with the bottom and had to pull the battery connector. I have ordered a STM link now as I think something is messed up of course.

Any thoughts?

https://codeshare.io/5eA6pr

1 Like

Sorry, never built the firmware, not sure if there is anything specific to do to get it working.
I don’t think changing the baudrate would cause this kind of issues, so i assume there is something wrong with the build, but I can’t find anything obvious from the build log.
Maybe there is some other setting than the hw files to set in conf_general.h to get it works with the unity ?

1 Like

@Nick_Leet3D You commented out the define for HW6 in line 76/77 and commented in the defines for the Unity in lines 137/138 in conf_general.h?

Edit.: Ah, you used the rebuild_all command. Please ignore the conf_general.h comment then. What arm-none-eabi-gcc are you using? There is a problem with newer ones. Last working version is the 2018-q2-update when I remember correctly.
With the newer version the firmware compiles fine, but when flashed to a VESC it reboots all the time.

2 Likes

I am using the following as per the github repo

export PATH="$PATH:/Users/your-name/gcc-arm-none-eabi-8-2019-q3-update/bin/"

Alright got the 5.1 back on it for now wed to figure this thing out with the baud rate of this port and what I’m doing wrong