Unity internal UART wiring

Made boot loader and uploaded along with the firmware only for unity with the baud rate change and latest arduino and same issue. :confused:

Did you try to downgrade your gcc ?

Iā€™ll try it I used the latest as well Iā€™ll give it a shot today

got it working i think it was also due to the privacy issues with macos and the initial makes, i deleted the files in the build folder and remade it also using the older version of gcc. If you want the virmware I can link it later today after i test it with USB flashing. It is 5.1 VESC firmware and specific unity firmware

4 Likes

Here it is. I was not able to test the USB flashing method as I flashed it with STM Utility. I had to get the board together quicly for a group ride so I totally forgot about this but the firmware is here if you want to try it at your own risk. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CWJm1vjGLt5ibuZacPBKtxW8DWP-Bwzl/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

@trelensis what are you using for a connector for the header? I have header pins currently with a 3 pin jst and a solo no connector for the other wire.

Iā€™m not sure what header you are talking about but for the maytech remote receiver Iā€™m using, I have a standard f-f 3 pin Dupont connector for the ppm (I removed the plastic jst connector on the unity, leaving only the pins so the Dupont connector can go right on the pins).
For the telemetry I only need 2 wires from the uart so Iā€™m using this kind of splittable f-m Dupont ribbon

Edit: Ok just checked what a header connector is, didnā€™t know it was called that way, so yeah, I just splt 2 wires from the ribbon.

2 Likes

Cool did you get it working?

Yeah, howd it go?
Im waiting on the post but I was hoping to break the ble comm port on my unity out to a usplit then to a unity model metr pro and a davegax mod.
Heard Iā€™d run into a fixed baud rate issue then ended up here.
Keen to give it a go when everything is delivered. (Still waiting on both usplit and metrpro)

Cheers guys

Keen to know if this has been flashed by usb as I donā€™t have stm link yet?

Hey, sorry didnā€™t had time to try and update my unity yet, I wonā€™t be home for a few days iā€™ll try it when iā€™m back.
I donā€™t have a stm link either, so i hope itā€™ll go ok :wink:

Finally had the time to update the unity, and it works great :+1:

Metr CAN + Davega X + Maytech V2, just need to work on cable management here, itā€™s a bit messy :sweat_smile:

Works just as intended using usb flashing, you have to rename the bin file tho, vesc tool refuses to read it with its current name (i renamed it to VESC_custom.bin)

The only issue remaining it that we would need to rebuild a version every update of the vesc firmware if we want to keep it up to dateā€¦

@b264 I see that you forked the bldc github, do you intend to work on a real open source/community managed fork of the firmware as you did for the vesc tool? Having this setting configurable would be nice, but i donā€™t think itā€™s really on the feature list benjamin is working on :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, please send a pull request

1 Like

Ok, iā€™ll try to work on the firmware to make the baudrate configurable, having to rebuild the firmware everytime someone needs to change the value isnā€™t really nice.

Would that be better to keep this setting independent from the other uart (meaning we would need to update the vesc tool to manage the new setting) or to have it using the same value as the main uart (meaning we would lose compatibility with the unity ble module, except for someone not using the main uart and setting the value at 250000)?

• Independent setting
  • Same setting as the main uart

0 voters

I want to run DavegaX and Robogotchi on both UART ports, but that fixed baud rate on the internal uart port is preventing me.

Bloody legend. Thanks mate, just waiting on the usplit now and Iā€™ll try it!

Do you just use CAN forwarding to connect to slave vesc and configure the baudrate in the UART tab?

Cheers

Never built a 4wd board, not sure about the can settings for it to works.
For the uart, the vesc tool uart baudrate setting only changes the main uart port, not the one used by the unity ble module. With this custom build itā€™s still canā€™t be changed, but at least itā€™s fixed at a usable value (115200, works with the davega X, the maytech v2 and probably lots of other things)

@Redeye Not sure what baudrate is needed by the robotgochi, is it like the metr (which works with any baudrate) ?
If so it should work using this firmware i guess. If it doesnā€™t, the davega X should work.

1 Like

Thanks bro!

I feel like losing compatibility with the factory ble module is not desireable.

Adding both settings would require more tool changes and not just firmware changes.

What about just adding a new custom firmware that has the internal port set to 115200?

So you can choose default, default_no_hw_limits, parallel_super_single, and default_115200_internal_uart builds?

The downside is you wouldnā€™t be able to use the super single and dual UART together without yet another build ā€“ but the upside is no tool & GUI changes, only firmware changes. I feel like itā€™s a worthwhile tradeoff unless thousands of folks are going to be using that.