Unity internal UART wiring

I guess it would do the trick, my issue was more about people wanting to use another baudrate than 115200, some devices require another value, but it’s a first step that should cover most of what people need.

I’ll just add an entry into the rebuild_all file with a specific build arg to swap between the default 250000 and the 115200 baudrate value and that should do it.

The vesc tool get the firmwares from the build_all folder of the bldc repo automatically or do the new firmware also need to be pushed to the variESC Tool repo?

I have a build script locally that also rebuilds the firmwares in the build_all folder; yes. It’s not checked-in to git.

im not sure how but maybe you could make it so the unused internal uart is the uart for the second vesc and it could be configured when you connect “over CAN” to the second half. then it wont require mods to the tool.

2 Likes

Righto, I’m trying it now and having 0 luck. I’ve flashed the fw, and it flashed successfully. I desoldered the pins from the unity ble module and soldered them onto my leads. But the davega will not get any signal.
It’s not the leads, because if I use those same leads on the main UART port they work fine. That obviously means that this flipsky davega is happy with 115200 baud too, as that’s what my main port is set to. The thing gets power, but no values show.

I’m down to 2 things, either somehow the tx and rx pins are not making contact in the port, or the firmware did not work for me.

To test if the pins sockets had been damaged and were not making contact, I installed a spare unity metr, and it works perfectly.

So I’m pretty lost. If after flashing the firmware above, my unity metr works fine, does that mean the baudrate was not changed? Or is metr compatible with 115200 also?

Metr should be compatible with any baudrate, so it wouldn’t help to check if the firmware is correctly applied, i’m not sure how we can check it… Perhaps retry flashing it, it may have failed to update and rollback to the previous version ?

Nah I’m a deckhead and trusted the flipshite instructions. Reversesd the tx/rx and it’s working!

I’ll write a guide

1 Like

Well, yeah actually i have the same issue with the maytech receiver, had to swap rx and tx to get it working

1 Like

I just tried it on a new xenith I’m replacing the popped unity with, and I can’t get it to work. Davega works on normal uart port, not on the ble port. Tried tx/rx pins both ways, same cooked fw with 115200 baud internal uart. Could there be a difference between xenith and unity internal uart shiz? Im a bit Confucius

is there a firmware for the unity to use the ble port as a second uart port with the new v5.2 firmware? or any pointers or a diy on how to do it myself

1 Like

On the flip side, is it possible to use the original Focbox Unity bluetooth module on Vesc 6 with latest firmware?

Update, I figured it out and have been running my Focbox bluetooth module on a VESC6.6