Unity ESC download

#itsNOTaVESC

1 Like

In Vedder’s defense going through the cart makes people like me who are happy to donate but are just too lazy to actually do it finally do it.
He’s put a lot of his life into it so I’m happy to let him make me go through this.

6 Likes

So, I downloaded the vesc tool and it seemed to work fine. I was unsure if it would play nice w the unity but its worked flawlessly so far. Cheers guys

Pretty funny that people can simultaneously acknowledge the massive effort that went into a system and then exaggerate the level of unpleasantness. As you point out the software is open source, and you are free to download and build any variant you choose. Downloading from the website is a lot faster and easier than building from source though. The level of drama for something that is really only mildly annoying at times is a bit ridiculous.

The website is actually run on a server at Ben’s house and Ben is able to track all the downloads and see who is doing what. I think it serves as a really good motivator to see how many people are downloading and using the tool. Having an account offers some protection against the server being overloaded easily so when someone downloads the file it can be served in a timely fashion. That means more donations go to the developers and less to hosting services.

Find something more worthwhile to rant about than a mild inconvenience to access software that people poured countless hours to develop and allow free access to. It’s not as if the email is being fed with spam or something like the vast majority of websites that require accounts do. That said there are some plans to update the website but there’s a whole mountain of stuff to look at still.

14 Likes

This.

I am a platinum VESC user now.

Bow before me and despair.

6 Likes

There literally is lol, we host/maintain it :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m also surprised nobody knows this…

That thread will literally show on Google when searching for VESC tool

2 Likes

:rofl:

Same, and everyone really should be.

2 Likes

Bit late but remember that you don’t need to enter personal details like address etc.

I alternate between silver and gold, and I will not be judged for it, sir.

:grimacing:

I’d pay $15 a month to Ben for a Patreon that sends me the latest tool via email whenever it’s released.

He can get donations and have an easy to use website. Doesn’t have to be exclusive.

1 Like

I can do that for ya. :relaxed:

3 Likes

you sneaky mf…

1 Like

Or you can just get it from here easily and @rpasichnyk is doing a pretty good job keeping it up to date. Plus, there’s a Mac a version as well.

Other than that I agree with Jeff though and I can see the reasons why Ben set up the distribution site the way he did. Complaining how bad something is that you got for free is rather inappropriate.

7 Likes

I did actually know about that, I just used it the other day.

I meant “officially”

We complain about lockups though? Where do we draw the line about what to complain about.

Anyways, im bookmarking that github link and downloading from there for now on.

(for the record ive donated to vedder more than once)

2 Likes

You don’t complain about free stuff. You bring out a problem or make a suggestion – politely and with appreciation. Complaining is just rude in this case (regardless of how much you donated).

1 Like

That’s different. There the manufacturer who sold you the ESC with a buggy firmware without testing it properly is to blame. Or you blame yourself if you changed the firmware. You don’t blame the guy who developed it for you with good intentions and free of charge.

I’m in general completely fine with any form of feedback and if you just say, hey this storefront is a bit confusing to operate and a pain point in the user experience that is something we can take a look at, I just think it’s important to keep in mind there is so much to work on so we should try and focus on what is most annoying and exaggerating doesn’t help do that.