Unity ESC download

Hey guys- have a new PC laptop and can’t locate where to download the unity esc software that I need to get my beast back on the road. Anyone have a working link? Cheers

If you’d like to use the Focbox Unity specific software and the 23.46 firmware, you can find that here:

1 Like

To download the vesc tool first you need to go to this site, and make an account with a password that is at least 24 characters long, with numbers, letters, symbols. Don’t worry, vedder only makes you change your password once a month.

Then you need receive a code sent to your email, which can take between 10s and 1 hour to get to your inbox

Then you need to enter that code back into the site

Then you need to put the free software into your shopping cart and go through a checkout process, this should only take 20 minutes.

Then a link will be sent to your email within the next 10s to 1hr to download the software.

You may ask “why is it like this?” Or “is this really all necessary?” Or “why not just let me download it off the site”

The answer to all those questions: Nothing, nobody knows why he does this bullshit

But fuck ALL OF THAT, here’s the file.
vesc_tool_free_windows (1).zip (30.3 MB)

But for real FUCK ALL OF THAT. Vedder went through the long and complicated process of setting up an ENTIRE ECOMMERCE SITE to distribute free open source software. Requiring email confirmation and everything. Why the fuck does he want all this data for. I hope that site faces some critical issue and he has to host the file like a normal person.

22 Likes

:joy: this is such a beautifully crafted rant

4 Likes

Good lord why are you so mad lmao

It takes me usually less than 2 minutes to download the latsst VESC tool lmao

It would be nice if there was just a list of versions and we could download whatever we wanted but we know how frank feels about that

5 Likes

I think Jackson and I are rubbing off on each other. And it’s amplifying the vitriol. :flushed:

It would be good though, to have a clean repo of all past stable versions. Sometimes an ESC flops with a new version and the actual recourse is limited aside from just rolling back the firmware.

2 Likes

Im mad because a tremendous amount of effort went into making this the way it is. Imagine if someone spent 60 hours adding a second door with a 10 digit code that changes daily to your favorite coffee shop front entrance

12 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

You don’t have to change your password every month lmao

That would be like the worlds worst impractical jokers episode

considering it took him a whole 20 minutes just to get the latest version of vesctool because of that stupid website I think he is justified in being upset :rofl:

2 Likes

I just don’t know how it managed to take so long lol

Although verification emails can be annoying, some email servers are really slow with them

I will admit it would be nice to at least do it without an account, like, as a guest.

why do you need to go through all of this shit for open source software? how about a nice github.com/vedder/vesctool/releases?

1 Like

Hyperbole for comedic effect haha

3 Likes

Lol I’m too serious sometimes

1 Like

What’s funny is when I was creating an account it thought my actual email was a spam email, so I had to actually use one of those temporary email tools to get a random email, which defeated the entire point of its spam checking.

2 Likes

#itsNOTaVESC

1 Like

In Vedder’s defense going through the cart makes people like me who are happy to donate but are just too lazy to actually do it finally do it.
He’s put a lot of his life into it so I’m happy to let him make me go through this.

6 Likes

So, I downloaded the vesc tool and it seemed to work fine. I was unsure if it would play nice w the unity but its worked flawlessly so far. Cheers guys

Pretty funny that people can simultaneously acknowledge the massive effort that went into a system and then exaggerate the level of unpleasantness. As you point out the software is open source, and you are free to download and build any variant you choose. Downloading from the website is a lot faster and easier than building from source though. The level of drama for something that is really only mildly annoying at times is a bit ridiculous.

The website is actually run on a server at Ben’s house and Ben is able to track all the downloads and see who is doing what. I think it serves as a really good motivator to see how many people are downloading and using the tool. Having an account offers some protection against the server being overloaded easily so when someone downloads the file it can be served in a timely fashion. That means more donations go to the developers and less to hosting services.

Find something more worthwhile to rant about than a mild inconvenience to access software that people poured countless hours to develop and allow free access to. It’s not as if the email is being fed with spam or something like the vast majority of websites that require accounts do. That said there are some plans to update the website but there’s a whole mountain of stuff to look at still.

14 Likes

This.

I am a platinum VESC user now.

Bow before me and despair.

6 Likes