Ultraboards – Ultra slim esk8 compilation | SERIOUS

3 Likes

16 Likes

Ultra slim :nerd_face:

14 Likes

What deck is this?

1 Like

I have a very nearly legit ultraboard. If I countersink the mounting hardware in the front truck, it’ll be 100% ultra. The rear truck is 43 and doesn’t touch. The 50 up front though…

13 Likes

Almost with TB110s… Maybe with our 125’s. But we don’t run our boards that low anymore because its actually LESS stable in our experience.

15 Likes

I learned this the hard way when I got scraped up by sliding out on tb110s with dropped through trucks.

3 Likes

Why is that do you think?

1 Like

I don’t have a physics explanation but I believe dh longboarders commonly mount drop through to make kicking out into slides easier.

3 Likes

@ApproachCautiously this sounds like your area of expertise

So imagine you keep going lower to the point where the deck is below the pivot axis. You have to swing up to turn. This adds more resistance the further you try to turn, whereas gravity helps you turn with top mount. In my experience what drop through does is give you a weaker centre as a result, but also gives you less leverage over the trucks, but the trucks have more leverage over you. So when you hit imperfections in the road you bump steer all over the place and it feels like the road is taking you for a ride.

I’d be interested to know if anyone else has had the same experience.

5 Likes

I haven’t used drop through trucks before and don’t really know how I’d even model a force diagram for them to try and figure it out tbh. That and it would take way too much time and energy than I can be bothered to put into it for a part I’ll never touch

Sorry, I meant that you claim your tall board is more stable, right?

1 Like

I thought you were tagging me because of my B.S in Physics tbh

I never claimed they were more stable :rofl: I’ve mentioned how they’re harder to ride due to a higher center of gravity multiple times. My only claim for height is that they’re more fun and you can more easily jump up to minimize pain caused from large bumps on them. I have tried doing it on a normal height deck and it just doesn’t work as well or at all in some cases.

Also my build overall is the exact opposite of stable which is why I say anyone else on here would call it a death trap. :rofl:

Haha ok my bad

2 Likes

I haven’t found higher decks to be more stable but I frequently use large amounts of riser and unless you’re kick pushing or footbraking, it really doesn’t seem to make them less stable in my experience. Obviously if you used 10 meters of riser, it would probably be very unstable, so I don’t know where the line is drawn.

2 Likes

Makes me wonder if a 10 meter tall skateboard would self-right like a motorbike :thinking:

4 Likes

What does it count as if the deck is lower than your wheels? The minimum diameter wheel to clear the baseplates is 110mm, so what do us small wheelers do?

5 Likes

Bikes are self righting across a large speed range because lean angle results in steering torque. Lean angle on a skateboard results in steering angle instead, so I would suspect it would only self balance at one speed.

2 Likes

d1d4f3dd7e14d753cbc571ba44a74c87

3 Likes